Shell-less eggs, rough shells, and diarrhea? Egg Drop Syndrome???

I know very little about EDS. Can you contact the head avian pathologist at your state lab and ask them?
Ooo Yes I can! Good suggestion! I’ll try the plain water, no treats/additives for a few weeks and see if things straighten up. If not I’ll send a msg or call them.

Water has been all refreshed to plain water.

Here is their housing.
Its an 8 x 12 coop and 2 runs

The small area is 4 x 8 coop and 10 x 10 run
Holds 5 (1-2ys old) hens and a 1yr old cock
FE79A584-2623-4924-85CF-530A65A27859.jpeg

44C4D725-1503-4093-9B22-ED90FC48019F.jpeg

The larger area is 8 x 8 coop and a 7 x 16 run. Houses 13 (1-2yrs old) hens and a 1 year old cock. Soon, 3 hens will be moved out to a tractor with another cock.

FF1F4537-DEE0-408D-A3CC-E8BA93D9C977.jpeg
2A833454-8677-49F8-9A6D-2BCE57B51B02.jpeg

44EAE5F9-A6EE-4D1A-B0B5-2C33310C89B5.jpeg
A953CD7B-EB78-4B0B-BBB6-358D9D0C68DD.jpeg

I buy the big bag (50#?) about once a year...only costs $10.
Actually just checked my records, that bag lasted almost 2 years..am due to get a new one.
I’ll have to look into that! I don’t think my feed store normally carries that large of a bag but they are fabulous at finding and ordering anything I’ve asked for. I’ll ask next time I’m in. (Love my small town feed store!)

I used molasses one time and it made the hen's poop SO runny for almost a week after I stopped. I don't know about any of the other stuff, but I would completely cut out the molasses. It's not good to give unless there's a problem IMO. I agree with the plain water for several weeks. If I start being too nice to my birds they always die. I've never had one due from not being nice enough. I just do layer crumbles and grit. And of course fresh water. I hope you figure everything out, I'm sorry you're having trouble.
Really? Hmmmmmm.... I didn’t notice a change in poop with molasses but I didn’t add that much so I thought. And the outside waters were plain water. Just the inside gallon one I kept additives in.

I’ll have to look into that! I don’t think my feed store normally carries that large of a bag but they are fabulous at finding and ordering anything I’ve asked for. I’ll ask next time I’m in. (Love my small town feed store!)
It's Manna Pro 50# for $12.
I get it at TSC, so your store may not have it but could probably order,
stay at home and call. ;)

Great job on the dimensions, descriptions, and pics!
Nice setup.
Kinda tight spaces, but not extreme.
Unless the cocks are assertive, noticed the saddles, could cause stress which can effect laying.
In which coop are you finding the funky eggs?
Are they all just coming back into lay after winter break?
Do all the birds have juicy poops/dirty butts?

It's Manna Pro 50# for $12.
I get it at TSC, so your store may not have it but could probably order,
stay at home and call. ;)

Great job on the dimensions, descriptions, and pics!
Nice setup.
Kinda tight spaces, but not extreme.
Unless the cocks are assertive, noticed the saddles, could cause stress which can effect laying.
In which coop are you finding the funky eggs?
Are they all just coming back into lay after winter break?
Do all the birds have juicy poops/dirty butts?
Haha I’ve been staying home. It will be a few weeks before I need anything at the feed store. I’d say a quarter to a third have messy bums and soft/runny poops and the saddles were put on recently so after I had already been finding the runny poops. Both coops have the issues but the larger one has the hen that laid the rough shell on the roost and the shell less egg in front of me. She also has runny poop. All the hens but 2 (those are 2yrs, wait, maybe they are 3...) are from 2019 and are just about 1yr old. The problems started a few months ago when they were starting to lay.

Here is a photo I took of one of the poops and messy bums. It’s not a very good example. I’ll see I can get another today. They are dark, and very soft. All my males have excellent poop!
90D74C9E-8AFC-4326-9FBB-D368EACEC2C3.jpeg
3FF55C64-7F45-4175-BC2A-3E040D301A03.jpeg

That poop looks like a cecal poop, they drop a few of those daily.
Hard to see what's going on with the butt.

Good visual references for all kinds of poops,
just don't jump to any terrible conclusions too quickly:
http://www.the-chicken-chick.com/2012/02/whats-scoop-on-chicken-poop-digestive.html

http://chat.allotment-garden.org/?topic=17568.0
I know what cecal poop is. Its not that. Some of the girls have had the squirts so bad at night the poop shoots out and hits the wall. Normally it’s a bigger pile then that.

I guess why I’m concerned is I’ve never had so many messy bottoms, runny poops, and constant Laying issues. I know a fair amount of shell less eggs are being made (weekly) because I see yolk in the nest box, on beaks, or i see the hens running around with remains in their mouth. I also find them on the poop board.

Back
Top Bottom