Shell-less eggs?!?!?! what are your thoughts?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by lovethepeep, Jan 22, 2009.

1. lovethepeep

lovethepeep Out Of The Brooder

Aug 3, 2008
    I have a chicken that has a confused system... or nutrient deficiency... i went out today to find a shell-less egg (looks like an egg, but feels like jello, and then a yoke sitting right beside it... I AM TOTALLY CONFUSED! [​IMG]
    what are your thoughts?!?

2. william9792

william9792 Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 23, 2008
    graham, nc
    is the hen new to laying eggs? if so it may take time for her to work it all out so they are like they should be. not to be up set about

3. Teach97

Teach97 Bantam Addict

Nov 12, 2008
    Hooker, OK
    needs calcium...use oyster shell...it could be a really old hen then cull

4. jforsness

jforsness Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 28, 2008
    Seattle, WA
    This is not uncommon with newly laying hens. Did she just start laying? She should be on a layer feed which contains calcium and you can also supplement to free choice crushed oyster shells.[​IMG]

5. moduckman

moduckman Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 2, 2009
    Cairo, Missouri
    I just talked about the soft-shelled egg in a previous post. New hens will sometimes lay a soft-shelled egg when they have not yet built up enough calcium. That will usually remedy itself. It is when an old hen does this that will sometime be a sign she has laid her last few eggs.

6. lovethepeep

lovethepeep Out Of The Brooder

Aug 3, 2008
    they are all new to laying... but the others have perfect eggs. I've never understood why some can have a vitamin deficiency, and others not have one... if they're all eating the same things! [​IMG].
    nonetheless, we've got some oyster shell... I'll put that out tomorrow [​IMG] THANKS!

7. gritsar

gritsar Cows, Chooks & Impys - OH MY!

Nov 9, 2007
    SW Arkansas
    If you weren't adding oyster shell, then adding it will likely solve the problem.
    Some hens have a problem with calcium absorption and/or need just a little more than another hen of the same age & breed to get the same result.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by