Shell less eggs

Jypzee

In the Brooder
May 28, 2016
7 pullets, 6 of them about 23 weeks old. 5 have red crops and wattles and squat. (2 RIR, 1 Barred Rock, 1 Barnevelder, 1 EE) We've been getting 1-3 eggs/day of various sizes lately.

I understand that it can take the girls time to get the workings in order, but we've been getting an occasional shell less egg. This morning we had 2 together just outside of the nest boxes. They're being fed a mix of layer feed with flock raiser to keep the protein up while the other 2 girls mature. They have free access to oyster shell.

When possible they're allowed free range of the backyard, otherwise kept in 12'x12' pen.

Just concerned that there may be something wrong. Do we just keep waiting it out or change something?

Shell less eggs are often from stress. I'm sure the internal feelings of the first eggs can cause stress in some hens which causes eggs to come out before they are ready. They should get used to it as it becomes more normal as things stretch out and become more regular.

7 pullets, 6 of them about 23 weeks old. 5 have red crops and wattles and squat. (2 RIR, 1 Barred Rock, 1 Barnevelder, 1 EE) We've been getting 1-3 eggs/day of various sizes lately.

I understand that it can take the girls time to get the workings in order, but we've been getting an occasional shell less egg. This morning we had 2 together just outside of the nest boxes. They're being fed a mix of layer feed with flock raiser to keep the protein up while the other 2 girls mature. They have free access to oyster shell.

When possible they're allowed free range of the backyard, otherwise kept in 12'x12' pen.

Just concerned that there may be something wrong. Do we just keep waiting it out or change something?
Welcome to BYC!!
I'm sure you meant red combs, not crops ;-)

How long have they been laying?
Are they eating the oyster shells? With new pullets I sometimes sprinkle just a dozen pieces of shell on the top of feed, seems to help them learn to recognize it
Can take up to a month or so for things to smooth out...softshell eggs are not too unusual with new layers.

Last edited:
Thank you all for the nice welcome and answers/suggestions,

Yes, I meant Red Combs, sorry. :)

We got the first egg back on July 3rd. Then it was about a week before we got the next one, etc. I have not seen them intentionally eating the oyster shells, so have gone to the point of just mixing some in with their feed. The 2 that have not begun laying yet, one is about 23 weeks, the other is about 17 weeks now. I'm just hoping that she's old enough to be able to handle the calcium OK.

A bit of an update on this issue. I believe that the shell less egg layer is our Barred Rock. We've never seen her in a nest box for more than a few seconds at a time, and the shell less egg has always been outside of the nest boxes.

Elinor is the Barred Rock and was the first to begin squatting and develop her red comb. They're all fed together and are under no stress.

This morning I was checking Elinor and noticed what appears to be broken egg on her rear below her vent. See picture below. She is in NO distress at all, eats and drinks just like the rest.

That just looks like a bit of poop/urates, pretty common with the fluffier butted birds.
Egg white would dry clear and yolk would be dark yellow....urates are the white part of poop.
You'll have to move all that fluff out of the way to really look.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom