Shell less eggs

retiredmary

In the Brooder
Oct 5, 2020
A while ago, I posted that I had an ISA brown that was laying shell less eggs. It was suggested that I give her half a caltrate to help with the calcium. That has not helped her situation. I have also cut back on treats to a handful of meal worms every 3 days and occasionally some leaf lettuce from the greenhouse. I have not seen any of my hens getting oyster shell from the container and it doesn't appear to be going down. I have also been giving them crushed egg shells but they will sample it and leave it alone too. The are fed 20% pellets and I have been giving them vitamins in their water. At the same time, my Australorpe who hasn't given me any eggs for over 4 months (think it's because she was moulting) has dropped a soft shelled egg. All of our 3 hens are about 14 months old. I have racked my brain trying to think of anything that I might be doing to cause this. We have had a really strange winter. It's been colder and windier than normal with more snow than normal. Could that be stressing them out? If anyone has any ideas, please let me know.

I normally wouldn't attribute egg issues to weather but you don't say what colder than normal means in regards to temperature nor do you give a location.
Egg shell quality relies on more than calcium. A delicate balance of calcium, phosphorus and D3 is critical for good shells. Are your 20% pellets layer feed or all flock feed? The question is are the pellets about 1% calcium or 4% calcium?

Are you feeding a layer feed or an all flock/flock raiser feed? Most layer feeds are about 16-17% protein. If not on layer, I would give that unless you have a lot of non-layers or roosters. Have you limited the scratch grains and other extras? She may have something going on with her shell gland in her oviduct. I had an injured hen who suddenly went from laying perfect hard shell eggs to laying shell-less ones from that time on. Here is a good picture of the shell gland below:
http://www.geauga4h.org/poultry/repro_tract_hen_labeled.jpg

I normally wouldn't attribute egg issues to weather but you don't say what colder than normal means in regards to temperature nor do you give a location.
Egg shell quality relies on more than calcium. A delicate balance of calcium, phosphorus and D3 is critical for good shells. Are your 20% pellets layer feed or all flock feed? The question is are the pellets about 1% calcium or 4% calcium?
According to the bag, it is 21% protein, 3% fat and 4.5% crude. It is Country Companion Layer Feed from Big R, I think, or possibly Tractor Supply. It doesn't mention calcium, phosphorus or D3. If that's the problem, could you let me know what you use?

According to the bag, it is 21% protein, 3% fat and 4.5% crude. It is Country Companion Layer Feed from Big R, I think, or possibly Tractor Supply. It doesn't mention calcium, phosphorus or D3. If that's the problem, could you let me know what you use?
Minimum 1 hour sunlight a day will handle the D3 - the feed website should tell you if the other nutrients are added.

Are you feeding a layer feed or an all flock/flock raiser feed? Most layer feeds are about 16-17% protein. If not on layer, I would give that unless you have a lot of non-layers or roosters. Have you limited the scratch grains and other extras? She may have something going on with her shell gland in her oviduct. I had an injured hen who suddenly went from laying perfect hard shell eggs to laying shell-less ones from that time on. Here is a good picture of the shell gland below:
http://www.geauga4h.org/poultry/repro_tract_hen_labeled.jpg
I have quit mixing a little scratch in with their pellets about 2 weeks ago. I suppose she could have injured something on the inside. About 3 months ago, she had a small vent prolapse which I cleaned with saline and used a little vaseline to push it gently back inside. She seemed to be laying fine after that and I kept and eye on her to make sure she didn't prolapse again.

Do you have a picture of the feed bag?
The types of feed online all have 16% protein.
Never mind... I found the specs online:
97F5D93E-CF46-4BF4-86A3-7D871D03A2FF.png

Hi. I have two young hens who have trouble with egg shells. One was getting better with calcium treatment, but then the calcium stopped working. I read that a manganese deficiency can cause egg shell issues, so provided shredded zucchini and that seemed to help. The other hen just dropped a soft egg from the roost last night. She only took a break from laying for a couple weeks during a severe molt, so I think her calcium stores are depleted. Can you try adding a little shredded zucchini (for manganese) and see how they do?

Back
Top Bottom