Shell less eggs

retiredmary

In the Brooder
Oct 5, 2020
A while ago, I posted that I had an ISA brown that was laying shell less eggs. It was suggested that I give her half a caltrate to help with the calcium. That has not helped her situation. I have also cut back on treats to a handful of meal worms every 3 days and occasionally some leaf lettuce from the greenhouse. I have not seen any of my hens getting oyster shell from the container and it doesn't appear to be going down. I have also been giving them crushed egg shells but they will sample it and leave it alone too. The are fed 20% pellets and I have been giving them vitamins in their water. At the same time, my Australorpe who hasn't given me any eggs for over 4 months (think it's because she was moulting) has dropped a soft shelled egg. All of our 3 hens are about 14 months old. I have racked my brain trying to think of anything that I might be doing to cause this. We have had a really strange winter. It's been colder and windier than normal with more snow than normal. Could that be stressing them out? If anyone has any ideas, please let me know.

I normally wouldn't attribute egg issues to weather but you don't say what colder than normal means in regards to temperature nor do you give a location.
Egg shell quality relies on more than calcium. A delicate balance of calcium, phosphorus and D3 is critical for good shells. Are your 20% pellets layer feed or all flock feed? The question is are the pellets about 1% calcium or 4% calcium?

Are you feeding a layer feed or an all flock/flock raiser feed? Most layer feeds are about 16-17% protein. If not on layer, I would give that unless you have a lot of non-layers or roosters. Have you limited the scratch grains and other extras? She may have something going on with her shell gland in her oviduct. I had an injured hen who suddenly went from laying perfect hard shell eggs to laying shell-less ones from that time on. Here is a good picture of the shell gland below:
http://www.geauga4h.org/poultry/repro_tract_hen_labeled.jpg

Never mind... I found the specs online:
View attachment 2512206
I was just about to send the picture. Mine is a blue bag
Country Companion-3.jpg

Hi. I have two young hens who have trouble with egg shells. One was getting better with calcium treatment, but then the calcium stopped working. I read that a manganese deficiency can cause egg shell issues, so provided shredded zucchini and that seemed to help. The other hen just dropped a soft egg from the roost last night. She only took a break from laying for a couple weeks during a severe molt, so I think her calcium stores are depleted. Can you try adding a little shredded zucchini (for manganese) and see how they do?
I will try the zucchini. Thanks for the info. I will post what happens in about 2 weeks if no change and before if there is a change. I appreciate all the information I get.

Wanted to let you all know that I appreciate everything you suggested for my chicken laying shell less eggs. The zucchini didn't help. Yesterday I noticed she had a prolapse so I'm wondering if that may have something to do with it. It looks like we will have to cull her.

We are in Colorado and being older have had some health issues come up. I have a knee that is going to need surgery. I am going to have to give my other two chickens away since I won't be able to give them proper care. One is an Australorpe and the other one appears to be a Red Star. If any of you are in Colorado and want them, please let me know. I just want them to go to someone who lets them have the run of the back yard.

I normally wouldn't attribute egg issues to weather but you don't say what colder than normal means in regards to temperature nor do you give a location.
Egg shell quality relies on more than calcium. A delicate balance of calcium, phosphorus and D3 is critical for good shells. Are your 20% pellets layer feed or all flock feed? The question is are the pellets about 1% calcium or 4% calcium?
According to the bag, it is 21% protein, 3% fat and 4.5% crude. It is Country Companion Layer Feed from Big R, I think, or possibly Tractor Supply. It doesn't mention calcium, phosphorus or D3. If that's the problem, could you let me know what you use?

According to the bag, it is 21% protein, 3% fat and 4.5% crude. It is Country Companion Layer Feed from Big R, I think, or possibly Tractor Supply. It doesn't mention calcium, phosphorus or D3. If that's the problem, could you let me know what you use?
Minimum 1 hour sunlight a day will handle the D3 - the feed website should tell you if the other nutrients are added.

Are you feeding a layer feed or an all flock/flock raiser feed? Most layer feeds are about 16-17% protein. If not on layer, I would give that unless you have a lot of non-layers or roosters. Have you limited the scratch grains and other extras? She may have something going on with her shell gland in her oviduct. I had an injured hen who suddenly went from laying perfect hard shell eggs to laying shell-less ones from that time on. Here is a good picture of the shell gland below:
http://www.geauga4h.org/poultry/repro_tract_hen_labeled.jpg
I have quit mixing a little scratch in with their pellets about 2 weeks ago. I suppose she could have injured something on the inside. About 3 months ago, she had a small vent prolapse which I cleaned with saline and used a little vaseline to push it gently back inside. She seemed to be laying fine after that and I kept and eye on her to make sure she didn't prolapse again.

Back
Top Bottom