Shell-less not-exactly-an-egg?

Dave TBG

Chirping
Sep 8, 2019
Northern NJ
I found something odd in the coop today and I'm not sure what it is. I'll get to a description in a minute, but the backstory might help.
We have 4 pullets that we're "day old chicks" on May 5th, I'm pretty sure they were there for a couple days by then and 1 was quite a bit bigger so, maybe a week or so by then. We got our first egg on Sunday afternoon, after getting home from a weekend away. Unfortunately, it was cracked, but a review of the coop-cam showed that it was laid Saturday around 2pm by our ISA Brown. Monday morning she gave us another, larger egg and then a smaller egg Tuesday morning. Today I'd hoped to keep an eye on things via the coop-cam today but the power was out. My wife saw the same bird in the other nesting box later in the morning and heard the usual excitement (egg song) a little while later but there was no egg when she checked.
I went to clean out the coop after work and found an absolute mess. We have a tray of sand under the roost for easy scooping and sometimes the girls will kick some pine shavings onto the sand. Today the shavings were unusually deep. As I scooped the shavings out to get down to the poop I found something that may have been a shell-less egg. It looked like it had to have been about 4" long and an inch around but was mostly deflated. The sand under it was clumpy so it must have leaked, didn't see any evidence of a yolk. The membrane was much thicker than I would have expected so I could have missed a flattened yolk.
My questions are:
Is this something that may have come from my ISA Brown after a few fully formed eggs or is it likely that someone else laid this? ( Others are RIR and Black Sex-link that look ready to lay and a White Leghorn that doesn't look as ready)
Is a yolk less, shell less egg even a thing?
Should I be worried? (I'm not that worried, but new at this, so...)
Any other thoughts? My wife mentioned that there was a lot of noise from construction at a neighbor's house so they may have been spooked a bit.

It takes a chicken a lot of energy to make 1 single egg, and it takes a lot off steps to make one inside them. The hen that made this egg must have skipped a few steps by accident. I’ve had this happen before, it’s weird right.:thumbsup

It takes a chicken a lot of energy to make 1 single egg, and it takes a lot off steps to make one inside them. The hen that made this egg must have skipped a few steps by accident. I’ve had this happen before, it’s weird right.:thumbsup
Very weird. Thanks for the reassurance. The fact that it wasn't in the nesting box makes me wonder if a different hen laid it.

It happens a lot with new layers. Sometimes it takes a while for them to get all the bugs worked out of the egg laying process. You can get all kinds off odd eggs before they get it figured out. :)

Back
Top Bottom