1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Shelless egg

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by chickendale1, Apr 1, 2012.

1. chickendale1

chickendale1 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 4, 2012
    One of my chickens laid an egg yesterday without a shell. The egg looked like a tube with the yolk next to it. Does anyone have any information. I have had a lot of chickens and have never seen this before. Please help. Thank you.

2. scratch'n'peck

scratch'n'peck Overrun With Chickens

Oct 31, 2008
    West Michigan
    My Coop
    I have read that the occasional egg laid with out the shell is not a cause for serious concern. Sometimes an egg goes through the system of the hen faster than normal and the shell does not develop. If you start noticing a lot of these, then it might be time to do more research.

3. klmclain1

klmclain1 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 14, 2011
    How old is your girl? Quite often when they're first starting to lay eggs they'll lay wierd ones. I watched one of mine walking across the yard one day and as she was strolling she barely paused and pushed a very thin-shelled egg out. Didn't phase her a bit! She's fine now - that was about 9 months ago!

4. curioUSchick13

curioUSchick13 Out Of The Brooder

Mar 31, 2012
    Florida
    that is one of the most interesting thing i have ever heard! what type of chicken is it?

5. only4ghosts

only4ghosts Out Of The Brooder

Mar 31, 2012
    Not every egg will be perfect. Unless it hapens frequently I would not ne too worried

6. CluckCluck18

CluckCluck18 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 26, 2010
    Largo, FL
    I've had that happen. It's usually from a lack of calcium. Provide some oyster shell for your girls. I have one chicken, Ruby, a RIR.
    She tends to like treats more than feed and somtimes lays an egg like that...sometimes it looks like a tube and sometimes fully formed but soft like a balloon. Once a month when I give them Verm-ex for worms and I add some cod liver oil, too for the vitamin D. Good luck, it will work out fine.... [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by