Shelless eggs

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by beachchickie, Jun 21, 2011.

1. beachchickie

beachchickie Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 6, 2009
    Alabama
    I have a hen that is about 18mos old or more. She layed just fine until 3mos ago she started laying eggs without shells. Of course she ate them. Since then I have increased her calcium a lot. Now she lays about 1 egg a week with a shell and the rest with no shell. I can tell b/c the nest has a wet spot. Her eggs are very large so she only lays about 3 per week and I am getting 1. I am thinking about culling her b/c I have chickens for the eggs. They are great pets but I raise them for the eggs. Q is has anyone else had this problem? IF giving extra calcium fixed it every time I would continue but it does not. Otherwise she is in great shape.

2. MuskokaChick

MuskokaChick Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 20, 2011
    Muskoka Region Ontario
    A few weeks ago I walked out my deck and down the stairs and at the bottom was a perfect egg but shelless...I had never seen that before...my chickens have only been laying about 2 months right now...so I just chalked it up to cycle getting tuned up...then the last couple of days I have found wet spot in the coop...like an egg was laid (no sign of shell and no sign of the egg either...figure someone is eating it) but I wondered if it was a shelless one since the rest of the eggs seem perfect and that certain someone isn't eating them....

Strange....

3. Cadjien_De_Louisiane

Cadjien_De_Louisiane SWLA Gamefowl Breeder

Apr 18, 2011
    Welsh, LA
    Have you been giving them oyster shells?

4. JP101010

JP101010 Chillin' With My Peeps

before culling her maybe you could put an ad on craigslist or here on BYC offering her to a good home for free. Im sure someone out there would love to have her as a pet vs. Culling her just because shes not meeting the egg quota

5. beachchickie

beachchickie Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 6, 2009
    Alabama
    I have given her oyster shell out the wazoo. I would be willing for anyone to have her as a pet that would want her. I just have too many to feed without production.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by