Shelless, yokeless egg?

Quail4Fun

Chirping
Apr 20, 2020
I have 8 week old tuxedo coturnix. I have 1 who has been laying consistently 1 egg a day for the last week or so. This morning I found a second 'egg'. So I think one of my other girls finally is trying to lay an egg. It was shelless and yolkless. Can this be normal while when a girl starts laying? Or do I need to look at adding diet supplements?

Attachments

• 20200609_100501.jpg
    20200609_100501.jpg
    156.1 KB · Views: 5
That's honestly what I was wondering. I struggled to find high protein feed in my area. I feed 24% protein feed but it only has 2% calcium so I also give them meal worms and oyster shells. Maybe I need to search harder for a different feed. Thanks for the reply!

That's honestly what I was wondering. I struggled to find high protein feed in my area. I feed 24% protein feed but it only has 2% calcium so I also give them meal worms and oyster shells. Maybe I need to search harder for a different feed. Thanks for the reply!
If you're giving oyster shell on the side, they should be fine. It could be that your new layer hasn't figured out that she needs it yet. She'll get there.

Update: The yokeless, shelless egg mystery solved. It was a brand new layer. Actually came from a bird I thought was a boy because I'd witnessed her crow a couple times... I didn't realize girls could crow... I hadn't vent sexed anyone due to being new to quail and it seemed overwhelming.... But today, this one popped out a fully shelled egg! I'm so excited to have another girl!

Back
Top Bottom