Shelling fresh hard boiled eggs

Quote:
ahh..so thats why u put them in boiling water...thanks..got it..
big_smile.png

i have recently been using the salt method, adding about a quarter cup of salt to the water. It works wonders. i also use Alton Brown's method of boiling eggs which keep them from being overcooked. You put the eggs in the water, bring to boil, turn OFF the heat and let them sit in the hot water for 15 minutes, then cool down quickly with water and ice cubes. They never come out all greenish and too hard. And then the salt trick helps the shells come off easily.

Someone else started a thread on here, McGoo I think it was, and said they peel like a dream if you steam them. I've steamed mine twice so far and it works beautifully! As a matter of fact, I steamed a dozen of my eggs that were freshly laid yesterday before going to bed last night, and after setting the steamer in the sink of cool water for just a few minutes, the shells pretty much fell off in my hands after I cracked each one. I steamed them for 20 minutes, cooled for maybe 5 minutes. We will have beautiful, fresh and delish deviled eggs with our Thanksgiving dinner today.

The first eggs I steamed were 18 banty eggs and they made the cutest little deviled eggs, LOL. Everyone had a fit over them!

Hope this helps. If you don't have a steamer, I say it's worth the money to invest in one just for this purpose. Especially if you have a good supply of fresh yard eggs like I do. LOL, I haven't bought store bought eggs in a coons age. I have a large stainless steel steamer that came with a set of cookware that I bought 3 years ago. Never really used it much before I found McGoo's post, but now I'm in love, love, love with that steamer.

the best tip i found was to generously salt the water. Last week I forgot but they peeled easily after refrigerating over night.

Back
Top Bottom