shelter for flock

ssteady4

Hatching
5 Years
Mar 9, 2014
I was wondering if anyone has used a green house for winter protection for their flock? I have a green house area and was wondering if it would work to shelter my chickens as well as fertilize my green house at the same time?

I have a coop it would be.placed at the end of the green house and the green house would beused for shelter so the could feee range during the winter.

Welcome to BYC!
frow.gif

As long as they are locked up in the coop at night so they are secure, the green house might be a good place for them in the day. One concern I would have is that it get too warm in there for the birds. We have a green house and even with night temps in the low 30's, we have to open the door in the day once the sun comes up because it gets too warm for our plants.

Nice to have you join us!

I get what you mean now! Lol I thought you wanted to turn the greenhouse into a coop. I personally can't see why they can't go in and fertilize the soil for you. I would make sure they have plenty of ventilation in it and they can't harm themselves on any thing. I don't think I would shut them in though I would give them the choice if they want to come out in the fresh air.

I get what you mean now! Lol I thought you wanted to turn the greenhouse into a coop. I personally can't see why they can't go in and fertilize the soil for you. I would make sure they have plenty of ventilation in it and they can't harm themselves on any thing. I don't think I would shut them in though I would give them the choice if they want to come out in the fresh air.

I would, as you say, make sure the green house does not trap too much moisture and give them a chicken door into a tractor, covered run or something so they could get fresh air and get outside if they want.

I have actually thought it would be great to have a greenhouse for them on the nastiest days.

Hello there and welcome to BYC!
frow.gif

For years I let my birds into my green house for shelter. They loved it!! BUT....keep all plants out of their reach because they will devour everything!! LOL And of course don't let them into any poisonous plants.

Good luck with all your poultry projects and welcome to our flock!

frow.gif
wee.gif
celebrate.gif
welcome-byc.gif
celebrate.gif
wee.gif
frow.gif

Welcome to BYC!!! There are loads of members on here…so if you have ANY questions…just ASK!!!

Hope you have loads of fun and all your answers answered here on BYC the BEST CHICKEN KEEPING FORUM on EARTH!

Going here, will help you get around BYC!!! Has loads of info on how to get around the site!

How to insert pictures on BYC!!!!

frow.gif
wee.gif
celebrate.gif
welcome-byc.gif
celebrate.gif
wee.gif
frow.gif

Back
Top Bottom