shelter for flock

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by ssteady4, Feb 13, 2015.

1. ssteady4

ssteady4 New Egg

Mar 9, 2014
    I was wondering if anyone has used a green house for winter protection for their flock? I have a green house area and was wondering if it would work to shelter my chickens as well as fertilize my green house at the same time?

2. Yorkshire Coop

Yorkshire Coop Merry Christmas! Staff Member

Aug 16, 2014
    Yorkshire, UK
    My Coop
  3. ssteady4

ssteady4 New Egg

Mar 9, 2014
    I have a coop it would be.placed at the end of the green house and the green house would beused for shelter so the could feee range during the winter.

4. N F C

N F C eggnog time! Premium Member Project Manager

Dec 12, 2013
    Wyoming
    Welcome to BYC! [​IMG]

As long as they are locked up in the coop at night so they are secure, the green house might be a good place for them in the day. One concern I would have is that it get too warm in there for the birds. We have a green house and even with night temps in the low 30's, we have to open the door in the day once the sun comes up because it gets too warm for our plants.

Nice to have you join us!

5. Yorkshire Coop

Yorkshire Coop Merry Christmas! Staff Member

Aug 16, 2014
    Yorkshire, UK
    My Coop
    I get what you mean now! Lol I thought you wanted to turn the greenhouse into a coop. I personally can't see why they can't go in and fertilize the soil for you. I would make sure they have plenty of ventilation in it and they can't harm themselves on any thing. I don't think I would shut them in though I would give them the choice if they want to come out in the fresh air.

6. duluthralphie

duluthralphie Chicken Wrangler Premium Member

Jul 11, 2014
    Orrock township, Minnesota

I would, as you say, make sure the green house does not trap too much moisture and give them a chicken door into a tractor, covered run or something so they could get fresh air and get outside if they want.

I have actually thought it would be great to have a greenhouse for them on the nastiest days.

7. TwoCrows

TwoCrows Show me the way old friend Staff Member

Mar 21, 2011
    New Mexico, USA
    My Coop
    Hello there and welcome to BYC! [​IMG]

For years I let my birds into my green house for shelter. They loved it!! BUT....keep all plants out of their reach because they will devour everything!! LOL And of course don't let them into any poisonous plants.

Good luck with all your poultry projects and welcome to our flock!

8. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    Welcome to the Backyard chickens flock.

9. Jewlss

Jewlss Out Of The Brooder

Jan 2, 2013
    Welcome to BYC [​IMG]

10. ChickyChickens

ChickyChickens Chickening Around

May 24, 2014
    BYC? Epic <3
    My Coop
    [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

Welcome to BYC!!! There are loads of members on here…so if you have ANY questions…just ASK!!!

Hope you have loads of fun and all your answers answered here on BYC the BEST CHICKEN KEEPING FORUM on EARTH!

Going here, will help you get around BYC!!! Has loads of info on how to get around the site!

How to insert pictures on BYC!!!!

[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG] [​IMG][​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by