She's been a good dog...

Coops Dad

Crowing
May 10, 2020
too close to Waco, TX
We lost two dogs in a space of a month 13 years ago, when our son was three; one,my Belgian Malinois, was 12 and died in her sleep and our Siberian Husky/Aussie cattle dog mix was hit by a car while in hot pursuit of a neighbor's car. She would catch and eat cats... incorrigible. So, when the second dog died, my little guy was heartbroken and sobbed that it wasn't fair, "Father God owes me two dogs!"

I've always felt that you don't look for dogs, dogs are supposed to find you. My wife never adopted my philosophy on dog acquisition so she promptly took our son to the local shelter, where he picked out a 6-month old Golden Retriever/Yellow Lab mix. She was the dumbest dog I have ever known. Her saving grace is that she had the biggest heart of any dog I've ever known.

Fast forward to now. She's 13+, her face is white, her eyes are clouded and she can't hear a spoken word at 6 feet. She's still a good dog. Actually, I upgraded her rank to "very good dog" a couple of years after she came into our family. She squared off on a random guy while we were in a Christmas lights walk, and she was relentless in her aggression toward him; not "going" for him but growling, baring her teeth and interposing herself to keep him from approaching our son. That episode was so completely outside of her normal joy at meeting ALL strangers that my wife (not a dog person) was leery of her for a month. I was impressed at her discernment and upped her rank to 5th or maybe even 4th best dog ever.

This last week, she stopped eating and vomits anything she manages to swallow. My wife tempted her with scrambled eggs, hoping she'd gain strength, but they came up moments after they went down. She lays near the heater at the bedroom door. A vet trip showed that she has an uncountable number of tumors, including several interfering with her digestive tract. The vet said she will eventually starve to death.

We're keeping her through the weekend and have a vet appointment on Wednesday.

My son is adopted. He has always known and never showed any angst over it until he was about 6. One night after prayers, he grabbed my hand and asked in a whisper "why would a woman give away a baby like that?"

My heart broke and I hugged him close and God gave me the right thing to say. I asked him if he loves his dog, he said yes. I asked if he'd ever get rid of her. Very fiercely, he said no; she's family! I asked " But where did we get her?" He answered "The shelter."

I said and how did she get there? Someone had to give her to the shelter. Maybe they were sick and couldn't take care of her, maybe they moved to someplace where they couldn't have pets, maybe they were too old for such a crazy young puppy. We just don't know but, because they did, God put her in our lives as our family. And I reminded him that the shelter have him a special paper when we got her.

It was in his closet and I pulled it out and handed it to him. It was a certificate of adoption showing my son as the adopter and the dog's name with our surname. My boy hugged me tightly and quickly fell asleep. He's 16 now and hasn't had a second of self-doubt since.

Our dog has been a very good dog. A very good dog.
IMG_20180826_084430189.jpg

nples.PNG

We had a very sweet old dog, "Trusty" We had to put her down at almost 14 because her hips went, she was also blind, and deaf. We had 2 protecting our son moments. The first time was in the late 90's. We took her to the city to see my DH's old martial arts master who owned at the time a mini mart in Capital Hill, Seattle. (Same place where they had CHOP from the riots. It was always a bad neighborhood.) Anyhow, Trusty was a country dog and didn't like the city, an 4 skin heads with spikey leather jackets and big militant boots crossed the street. Trusty stood in front of our son and was barking and straining at the leash like she was a police dog. A diff time when my son was about 15 and Trusty was even as old as she is in this picture, my son and Trusy went for a walk, and a pit bull came running down a driveway. Trusty wagged her tail in greeting, and the pitbull crouched and slowly moved towards my son. Trusty went into immediate defense mode. She braced her legs out and let out the meanest growl she could muster as if to say, "I may not win, but I am taking you with me!" The pitbull ran off.

I just wanted to comment about the dog being aggressive toward that stranger. Dogs are a good judge of character. Years ago I had some new neighbors that my Komondor dogs could never tolerate. Found out later they were thieves. Had a nephew the dogs never would warm up to. He later stole $30,000 from his father. My dogs are usually very friendly, but when my dogs don't like someone, I pay attention. That said, I am so sorry about your dog. No matter how long our beloved pets may live, it is never long enough.

Your story brought tears to my eyes - not only because you're about to lose such a good dog, but because of what she helped teach your son about love, sacrifice and family. Your son is growing up to become a wonderful man, I have no doubt.

We lost both of our boys this past July, only 4 days apart. Our Border Collie we'd had since a puppy at age 14, and our little Maltese from the shelter who was at least 14. It was so hard, especially with covid - we had to drop them off at the vet first, but at least they let us into the room so we could be with each of them when they passed.

Exactly what you believe about "the next dog will come into our lives," a month after we lost our boys, my sister needed us to foster her dog until the border opens with Canada - my sister lives there and her adult kids had to move and couldn't bring Lily - a senior Golden Retriever, the least intelligent, least courageous, but most loving and loyal dog we've ever known. A living angel, sent to help and comfort us when we needed her the most.

I'm not a part of any specific religion, but I do believe God intends Dogs, no matter where they come from, whether it's a shelter, the pound, a stray, a breeder, or coincidence, to teach us how his love is supposed to be.

Back
Top Bottom