She's Been Talking in Her Sleep..

Well I’ve had a rotten year for hatching, after having several years when nearly everything hatched. I think it takes a lot of mental toughness to hatch birds and that our outcomes are far from guaranteed when using little styrofoam or plastic incubators. If you participate in the BYCs hatch-alongs, you’ll see a variety of outcomes and a lot of disappointments and angst, so you aren’t at all alone in this. If hatching gets too frustrating though, can you find keets someone near you to pick up? A lot of people sell them around here, but you might need to know where to look as they are tough to advertise, since Facebook is blocking bird and egg ads.

As for current hatch: yes, if one is internally pipped then put the group in lockdown with elevated humidity. What day are you on? I’ve found that when I collect every day from a monitored nest, my hatching days are pretty consistent, about 25-28 days. However, if I discover a full nest, even with no broody on it, then those eggs can be all over the place in speed of development. Best of luck with your hatch!!!! :fl:jumpy:fl
Today is day 25, so yes :eek: when I saw that and heard chewing sounds. These were so fresh the last one had just come out.😉 No one's talking to me yet,though ("Singleton" talked and chewed at the same time).
The younger batch was collected the same way. Bella has discovered Rosie's garden nest and added to it now. I think I'm going to let them handle it since it's so close to the house.

Today is day 25, so yes :eek: when I saw that and heard chewing sounds. These were so fresh the last one had just come out.😉 No one's talking to me yet,though ("Singleton" talked and chewed at the same time).
The younger batch was collected the same way. Bella has discovered Rosie's garden nest and added to it now. I think I'm going to let them handle it since it's so close to the house.
Are you planning to leave the nest and let them incubate there? Maybe you could build a pen around the nest to keep them safe on it?

Are you planning to leave the nest and let them incubate there? Maybe you could build a pen around the nest to keep them safe on it?
They've got it in a perfect spot of the flower garden nestled below lemon balm, right outside my bedroom.. I think if I move the kennel over there and make sure the door follows the pathway they've made, the plants may conceal the kennel sides completely, esp if I tie the door open and reinforce the top w/hardcloth. 20210707_185301.jpg
20210707_190356.jpg
Or I cld do as I suggested you do w/the dog crate.🤔 lol..and lock the puppy in the bathroom when needed.

They've got it in a perfect spot of the flower garden nestled below lemon balm, right outside my bedroom.. I think if I move the kennel over there and make sure the door follows the pathway they've made, the plants may conceal the kennel sides completely, esp if I tie the door open and reinforce the top w/hardcloth.View attachment 2751169
View attachment 2751180
Or I cld do as I suggested you do w/the dog crate.🤔 lol..and lock the puppy in the bathroom when needed.
I don’t know which would be best, but keep in mind that a hen on a nest at night is a total sitting duck. There’s bigger predators like raccoons and possums, but also small creatures like weasels and snakes. Those 28 days are a long time to sit without a predator getting wind of the opportunity…

Back
Top Bottom