She's Been Talking in Her Sleep..

Is that your new baby? :love How many hatched?
She's the only one of that batch. They were the eggs I found under a bush after Blue had died of his & Bella, so wasn't sure how old they were. She's 9 days old- SHE bc she already says "thank you"(aka 2 syllable).
I'm anxious for the batch due this weekend of Bella & Nugget's, so this one isn't so lonely. She runs around like a maniac and now has spraddle leg so I've got her taped up, giving her nutridrench and hand feeding her so she doesn't fall on her face. She doesn't like being alone so the only time she's calm is if the lights are off or she's in her sock cuddled between my chest & hand. I started standing her in a jelly glass and that seems to be helping. She's getting stronger and can stand but then she tries to bolt when she moves and :th. When I tried the hammock; she wiggled until she was upside down and stuck in the leg hole. Managed to escape the bandaid:barnie. I found some KT tape and she hasn't escaped that. Lol.
Someone strengthened their duckling's legs by having it swim. I've read goons can swim and read about goons drowning in pools, so not going to chance it. But it's a good idea-for a duck. For now she's sleeping in her bowl w/the heating pad and diaper folded like a fort.

She's the only one of that batch. They were the eggs I found under a bush after Blue had died of his & Bella, so wasn't sure how old they were. She's 9 days old- SHE bc she already says "thank you"(aka 2 syllable).
I'm anxious for the batch due this weekend of Bella & Nugget's, so this one isn't so lonely. She runs around like a maniac and now has spraddle leg so I've got her taped up, giving her nutridrench and hand feeding her so she doesn't fall on her face. She doesn't like being alone so the only time she's calm is if the lights are off or she's in her sock cuddled between my chest & hand. I started standing her in a jelly glass and that seems to be helping. She's getting stronger and can stand but then she tries to bolt when she moves and :th. When I tried the hammock; she wiggled until she was upside down and stuck in the leg hole. Managed to escape the bandaid:barnie. I found some KT tape and she hasn't escaped that. Lol.
Someone strengthened their duckling's legs by having it swim. I've read goons can swim and read about goons drowning in pools, so not going to chance it. But it's a good idea-for a duck. For now she's sleeping in her bowl w/the heating pad and diaper folded like a fort.
Oh poor little singleton!!! Sounds like she’s in the best of hands though!

Oh poor little singleton!!! Sounds like she’s in the best of hands though!
Not so sure about that. I had just settled her in for the night when I wrote that then checked on her. In that short amount of time she wiggled out of & under the diaper so was right on top of heating pad & died.
The heating pad registers 95.9 on low. I had made the diaper into a little tent w/the thick part under her & the heating pad under & above so the heat radiated around her. I should have realized she was growing and getting stronger, but all I was thinking about was keeping her warm, fretting about her legs & wanting those other eggs hatched so she'd be able to cuddle. She'd taken to cuddling against the thermometer I had in there.
Elsewhere someone posted about stupid ppl screwing up & then whining about their dead bird. I'm still pretty shook up from losing Blue. He definitely wasn't "just a bird", & it isn't fair that they suffer bc I screwed up.

Not so sure about that. I had just settled her in for the night when I wrote that then checked on her. In that short amount of time she wiggled out of & under the diaper so was right on top of heating pad & died.
The heating pad registers 95.9 on low. I had made the diaper into a little tent w/the thick part under her & the heating pad under & above so the heat radiated around her. I should have realized she was growing and getting stronger, but all I was thinking about was keeping her warm, fretting about her legs & wanting those other eggs hatched so she'd be able to cuddle. She'd taken to cuddling against the thermometer I had in there.
Elsewhere someone posted about stupid ppl screwing up & then whining about their dead bird. I'm still pretty shook up from losing Blue. He definitely wasn't "just a bird", & it isn't fair that they suffer bc I screwed up.
Looks like I deleted a lot more than I meant to- the point of last paragraph was that I have 5 eggs due for lockdown tomorrow, 5 more I just put in 3 days ago - & I feel that if doesn't go better, I'm done hatching, bc It's not fair to them.
So the 5 due to go in lockdown tomorrow: I spent the day calibrating everything & heating up the other incubator, bc 1 has internally pipped & I can hear the others grinding. I fig that meant we should move up lockdown? Am I doing something wrong that made them start early, or do they just not keep track of the calendar?

Oh no Syndney!!!! You’ve just had the most rotten luck these last few months!!! I’m so sorry. It’s hard to raise a Singleton. It’s not your fault at all. Ignore the mean people; they are everywhere on the internet and will cast a dark cloud over your head if you let them! Your little one was lucky to have someone working so hard to keep it happy and warm. That’s awful that Blue’s baby is gone. :hit

Aww, I am sorry to hear that.... I know how it feels to lose a special baby.
My best condolences go out to you Sydney.:hugs

Looks like I deleted a lot more than I meant to- the point of last paragraph was that I have 5 eggs due for lockdown tomorrow, 5 more I just put in 3 days ago - & I feel that if doesn't go better, I'm done hatching, bc It's not fair to them.
So the 5 due to go in lockdown tomorrow: I spent the day calibrating everything & heating up the other incubator, bc 1 has internally pipped & I can hear the others grinding. I fig that meant we should move up lockdown? Am I doing something wrong that made them start early, or do they just not keep track of the calendar?
Well I’ve had a rotten year for hatching, after having several years when nearly everything hatched. I think it takes a lot of mental toughness to hatch birds and that our outcomes are far from guaranteed when using little styrofoam or plastic incubators. If you participate in the BYCs hatch-alongs, you’ll see a variety of outcomes and a lot of disappointments and angst, so you aren’t at all alone in this. If hatching gets too frustrating though, can you find keets someone near you to pick up? A lot of people sell them around here, but you might need to know where to look as they are tough to advertise, since Facebook is blocking bird and egg ads.

As for current hatch: yes, if one is internally pipped then put the group in lockdown with elevated humidity. What day are you on? I’ve found that when I collect every day from a monitored nest, my hatching days are pretty consistent, about 25-28 days. However, if I discover a full nest, even with no broody on it, then those eggs can be all over the place in speed of development. Best of luck with your hatch!!!! :fl:jumpy:fl

Back
Top Bottom