Shes not sweet anymore!

I've got a bantam who's developed an irrational pecking problem although I don't know that my experience would help you solve your problem. You mentioned that your hen had seizures.
My Meghan has always had little seizures that are like petit mal. I think they've got worse since late summer and she's started to be less aware of others, as if there's some dementia. One day she couldn't work out how to get into the run (she was standing next to it).

Recently she's started pecking inappropriately. When they're settling together at night she'll start pecking like an automaton and will peck me if I put my arm there. I've also seen her do this when standing in the run, just pecking at anyone who walks past.
These aren't hard pecks like those you describe but they do upset the others, especially the two newcomers who have been there for two months now -sometimes she acts as if she can't remember seeing them before.

I posted pics of her. She's definitely a girl. She's already laying. I know because her first eggs were in her crate when she lived in the house. She was hatched Aprtil 17th this year. She's been coddled, loved, spoiled and cared for.
The best way to avoid her pecking at your face, etc. is to be off limits.
No sitting on shoulders or near the face.
Chickens are curious at times and will peck to explore, to show dominance or ?

While some do like being cuddled when young, they can grow past that stage and get to where they aren't that keen on being handled.

Is 'she' laying eggs? It looks like 'she' is developing saddle feathers. The mantle feathers seem really pointy as well.

Being a Silkie cross and previous history sounds like wryneck, which Silkie roosters are more likely to develop.
She has laid eggs in her kennel when she was in the house. She is a non bearded silkie crossed with Japanese bantam. Her eggs are super tiny. She also got really broody after her first egg. She walked around the house puffed up and vocalized her irritability. She responded really well to the vitamin c remedy. No more seizures or head nodding.

The best way to avoid her pecking at your face, etc. is to be off limits.
No sitting on shoulders or near the face.
Chickens are curious at times and will peck to explore, to show dominance or ?

While some do like being cuddled when young, they can grow past that stage and get to where they aren't that keen on being handled.
She not a cuddly girl even though her mom, the silkie is. Her mom will spend as much time as you allow her to sit with you. She wasn't cuddled after she started laying. It's mostly her revenge actions that threw me off. None of the other girls we've raised or the boys are anything like that. She's the only one who has shown any tendencies for revenge and kept that anger even to today.

I've got a bantam who's developed an irrational pecking problem although I don't know that my experience would help you solve your problem. You mentioned that your hen had seizures.
My Meghan has always had little seizures that are like petit mal. I think they've got worse since late summer and she's started to be less aware of others, as if there's some dementia. One day she couldn't work out how to get into the run (she was standing next to it).

Recently she's started pecking inappropriately. When they're settling together at night she'll start pecking like an automaton and will peck me if I put my arm there. I've also seen her do this when standing in the run, just pecking at anyone who walks past.
These aren't hard pecks like those you describe but they do upset the others, especially the two newcomers who have been there for two months now -sometimes she acts as if she can't remember seeing them before.

Oh poor girl! My Mia seems completely aware. She runs to us to aggressively attack our feet. When we bend down to cuddle the others that are seeking attention, she's right there wanting us to pick her up. Which she allows but we set her on our legs and keep her away from our faces. As long as you don't try to touch her, she's happy. But hands make her flare her neck feathers and attack.

Is she the only bird that has lived in your house?
We've raised quite a few in the house. We currently have one now in the house. She was a rescue from an idiot. She's responded really well and has attached herself to my mom. My mom is stuck in a wheelchair so it works for Lily to have someone to lay with. I've raised roosters in the house too. All 4 turned out super friendly and sweet. All 4 are big cuddles. I've raised girls too and they're still sweet and beg to be held when we go to visit them outside. I'm just not sure what happened to Mia. Maybe her head isn't right from having wry neck/seizures. Who knows.

Well, I hate to say this, but there are only a few great options for your future:
1. Eat a nice dinner.
2. Find a place to rehome this hen.
3. Pay $100 every year in first aid supplies while the evil hen hurts you.
Well, she won't be dinner. I've hand raised every one I have. They're not here for eggs or meat. They're here because I love them all. I can tolerate her behavior. She's weird. But we have others that are weird too. We keep her away from our faces and tell her no when she attacks our hands. She does listen and knows the word no and what it means. Because she backs off immediately. I was hoping someone had an answer for her revenge type behavior. But I guess each of them are different with different thoughts, personalities and behaviors. I'll keep working with her and weirdness! But definitely no shoulders anymore.

I am no expert but I suspect she thinks she's your equal or that you are part of her flock and she is trying to establish the pecking order with you. Animals are animals and have to know their place. Dogs who sleep in peoples' beds and eat off their plates think they are higher up in the pack order than they actually are (or should be). I imagine its the same with chickens though I've never raised one in the house to know. I do know chickens and dogs all have their own personalities so peoples' experience will vary but being allowed to perch on you might have given her the idea that she is your boss. Just my two cents. Might not be worth that lol
Oh wow.... I've raised and had chickens now for almost ten years. I never gave that a thought. But you sound very right. She could think she's above me. I've given her plenty of opportunities to think that. Regardless, I still love her. She's with the big flock now, still a bitch. She's not allowed on our shoulders but she's still allowed on our laps as long as she behaves. Thank you so much for your words! I actually thought she was brain damaged, but it sounds more like I did the damaging with her. She was incredibly spoiled. Oh well. She'll always be here with me regardless.

Back
Top Bottom