Shetland Chicks Arrived

And they’re laying. Bluest egg I’ve seen laid here.

Attachments

• 53AC978D-1943-4C65-BB3F-D63A014FA52E.jpeg
    53AC978D-1943-4C65-BB3F-D63A014FA52E.jpeg
    220 KB · Views: 25
Five months now and I’m amazed at how quiet and docile they are Not a great layer but I didn’t get them for production. Getting an egg every other day or every two days. One thing I’ve noticed is they have the same problem as Polish, their eyesight is hindered by the tops. I love the tops though so I’ll be working on a top hat like this hen’s which stays out of her line of sight
15FBC0CD-0F8E-4026-A43A-D5CD614CC3AF.jpeg

They are also rumpless and tailed. I have one cockerel that is rumpless in reserve and the tailed cockerel is with the hens now.

And they’re laying. Bluest egg I’ve seen laid here.
Lost this thread for a while. Shetlands continue to fascinate me.
I lost the thread too! Wow that’s some blue egg. 🥰 Never seen any that blue. How old was yours when she started laying? My one little Shetland Hen has started to develop larger wattles so hopefully she’ll be laying soon. I’ll post a photo when she does.
I agree with you about the personality, very calm little bird. Here’s a photo of her from the other day.😊
DDA6CEB7-0146-4518-9751-F7A76EEBF81C.jpeg

I lost the thread too! Wow that’s some blue egg. 🥰 Never seen any that blue. How old was yours when she started laying? My one little Shetland Hen has started to develop larger wattles so hopefully she’ll be laying soon. I’ll post a photo when she does.
I agree with you about the personality, very calm little bird. Here’s a photo of her from the other day.😊
View attachment 2826353
What a beautiful little one. I love their personalities. One of mine was fully five months when she started to lay. The second one followed about ten days later. The third hen hasn’t started yet. They were hatched March 29, 21. And that egg!!!! 😍🤩❤️ Finally I got a very blue egg out of my blue egg layers. It’s the most blue ever here and it was also the only one. Every other egg has been more subdued. Like she emptied half her toner cartridge on that first one 🙂

What a beautiful little one. I love their personalities. One of mine was fully five months when she started to lay. The second one followed about ten days later. The third hen hasn’t started yet. They were hatched March 29, 21. And that egg!!!! 😍🤩❤️ Finally I got a very blue egg out of my blue egg layers. It’s the most blue ever here and it was also the only one. Every other egg has been more subdued. Like she emptied half her toner cartridge on that first one 🙂
Sounds like about average for most of my chickens, start around 5 months.😊 (except the silkies, they take their time).
I am not sure exactly how old mine is. She was with a bunch of grow outs the breeder had and he said "somewhere between 3-5 months old" when I got her in early July. She already had little wattles when I got her, so guessing she is around 5 months old now? Keep checking the nest boxes every day for that blue egg!
I have her in the bantam coop along with a little Silverudds/EE cross about the same age, though I expect her egg will be some shade of green/aqua. Hopefully I will be able to tell the difference!🤣

Sounds like about average for most of my chickens, start around 5 months.😊 (except the silkies, they take their time).
I am not sure exactly how old mine is. She was with a bunch of grow outs the breeder had and he said "somewhere between 3-5 months old" when I got her in early July. She already had little wattles when I got her, so guessing she is around 5 months old now? Keep checking the nest boxes every day for that blue egg!
I have her in the bantam coop along with a little Silverudds/EE cross about the same age, though I expect her egg will be some shade of green/aqua. Hopefully I will be able to tell the difference!🤣
That’s where I’m at. Always looking for that egg :weeI have a group of Welsummers that are all two weeks older than these Ahetland and they aren’t laying yet either. Everyday is a treasure hunt 🙂. My Shetlands are smaller by the way. They are all smaller than my standard breeds but not bantam size.

That’s where I’m at. Always looking for that egg :weeI have a group of Welsummers that are all two weeks older than these Ahetland and they aren’t laying yet either. Everyday is a treasure hunt 🙂. My Shetlands are smaller by the way. They are all smaller than my standard breeds but not bantam size.
Yes, mine is little too, about the same size as the Silverudds cross and my silkie crosses. They all live quite peacefully together with my silkies.😊
bantam flock.jpg

Back
Top Bottom