Shetland geese or any mini geese advice needed

Discussion in 'Geese' started by AliciaM, Dec 26, 2010.

1. AliciaM

AliciaM Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 18, 2010
    Yelm Washington
    Im looking into getting some shetland geese or another type of smaller geese.. Im still in the researching phase...

Id appreciate any advice and comments from anyone that has them.. or can suggest a breed.

I want small, and people friendly... or reasonably people friendly... And one that has the potential for good marketability... Something not so common...

I even hear of cotton patch geese.. Any input on them?

Thanks everyone.

2. Omniskies

Omniskies Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 7, 2008
    Missouri
    None of the Mini Geese are common. Shetlands and Cotton Patch are both critically-critically rare. I've never had Shetlands, but Cotton Patch are a friendly, quiet goose. Tom Walker is the main individual who raises these and keeps them affordable. He is ancient and I worry about the future of the breed when he's no longer with us.

None of the Minis are exceptional layers. Cotton Patch geese can fly, but don't fly away, and have a much more streamlined build than any other domestic geese. Again, I'm not sure about anything on the Shetlands (although I want to say I read somewhere that they are traditionally allowed to hatch their own eggs to maintain the broody qualities they have had - but that may be for Cotton Patch, as well).

I have the Mini Pilgrims and enjoy them. The hen is quiet and looks like a trim, petite version of my standard Pilgrims. She is not a spectacular layer, but she does lay surprisingly large eggs for her size.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by