Shetland Geese Questions

June2012

Songster
5 Years
May 23, 2015
I'm a sucker for rare breeds and found the interesting Shetland Geese! Does anyone raise Shetlands? Breeders? Everything I found on the Internet regarding Shetland Geese have been from years back, whether it be on this forum or other places. :(

According to my research, they're rather small at only 10-12 pounds, but they're supposed to forage great even in the snow, gang up on predators (although I wouldn't depend on them to actually do much lol), and take excellent care of their offspring. Their rarity unfortunately, has made the breed susceptible to inbreeding defects.

If you know anything, please help and shed some light onto this breed!

Thank you in advance!!

I have a Shetland goose, lost my gander over the summer. I’m waiting to get a pair shipped so she has company. The seller had bought 4 goslings from a hatch so I’m hoping I can convince my goose to pair with the new gander.... Probably not getting any goslings this year, my 3rd year of trying . There are 2 Facebook groups you can join, search for Shetland. That will be your best bet.
There are very few left in the US. Holderreads flock mostly went to 2 breeders in Ontario Canada. They do bring in adults for pickup at the Ohio National for sure. Bryant Helvey and Goodin Family Farm were taking orders in the PNW (they formed one of the FB groups).
If you look at the birds from the Shetland Islands you can quickly see that due to the small genetic pool imported to NA our flocks really need some fresh blood. Since I already have a goose I’m trying to get more birds but if I didn’t I’d pass over this breed for the Cotton Patch. A CPG community was formed on Facebook to jump start their numbers and they’ve done a great job. Probably related to Shetlands. Also dimorphic and small in size. Ashton Waterfowl has a good write up on these similar birds.

The Canadians only sell adults. Apricot Valley and Brad Metzger (can never remember the farm name). Both have websites and are active on FB. Apricot claims to have 2 vigorous pairs, and had a goose for $300 last I saw. So these will be pricey too.

Last edited:
I should note that I worked my way through the Livestock Breeders listed. Cabbage Hill no longer has them, sold them to one of the Canadian breeders, Sonia has a non-performing gander and isn’t selling. She’s very nice and also has CPG so you could email her to know more about the breeds. There's a man in IL that I never got a hold of. Bryant, who is your best bet. Goodin was recommended to me by Holderreads. If there is a Danni listed she is who I am buying the pair from, so she might have goslings this year?
Really, joining the FB group will save you the time I spent looking!

I have a Shetland goose, lost my gander over the summer. I’m waiting to get a pair shipped so she has company. The seller had bought 4 goslings from a hatch so I’m hoping I can convince my goose to pair with the new gander.... Probably not getting any goslings this year, my 3rd year of trying . There are 2 Facebook groups you can join, search for Shetland. That will be your best bet.
There are very few left in the US. Holderreads flock mostly went to 2 breeders in Ontario Canada. They do bring in adults for pickup at the Ohio National for sure. Bryant Helvey and Goodin Family Farm were taking orders in the PNW (they formed one of the FB groups).
If you look at the birds from the Shetland Islands you can quickly see that due to the small genetic pool imported to NA our flocks really need some fresh blood. Since I already have a goose I’m trying to get more birds but if I didn’t I’d pass over this breed for the Cabbage Patch. A CPG community was formed on Facebook to jump start their numbers and they’ve done a great job. Probably related to Shetlands. Also dimorphic and small in size. Ashton Waterfowl has a good write up on these similar birds.

The Canadians only sell adults. Apricot Valley and Brad Metzger (can never remember the farm name). Both have websites and are active on FB. Apricot claims to have 2 vigorous pairs, and had a goose for $300 last I saw. So these will be pricey too.

Just a question, what do you like most about the Shetlands? I was attracted to them because I read that they were incredibly active foragers, apparently even venturing out in the snow for food!

I should note that I worked my way through the Livestock Breeders listed. Cabbage Hill no longer has them, sold them to one of the Canadian breeders, Sonia has a non-performing gander and isn’t selling. She’s very nice and also has CPG so you could email her to know more about the breeds. There's a man in IL that I never got a hold of. Bryant, who is your best bet. Goodin was recommended to me by Holderreads. If there is a Danni listed she is who I am buying the pair from, so she might have goslings this year?
Really, joining the FB group will save you the time I spent looking!

I will have to speak to Goodin Farms and Bryant Helvey! Though, I think I am more in the researching phase about the breed because I'm unsure of the particular appeal of the breed. I can't seem to find more information about the breed the more I look. All I found was that they foraged in the snow based on the Livestock Conservancy website. :/

Back
Top Bottom