Shetland Geese

Yes, it was easy to tell them apart when they were babies. I've attached a photo. The females were darker -their feathers, beaks and feet. I was incorrect about getting them last year.
It was actually 2012 that they arrived, which explains why they are showing strong nesting instincts this year. Not so much last year. So they are two years old. Time flies!!
Thanks for sharing your pictures - they really are gorgeous little goslings! I actually only received 5 -- with a note saying they were short on Shetlands this year. Four of them are doing well. the fifth one had not grown hardly at all and seemed to be having some difficulty swallowing?? It would shake it's head realllllllllly excessively after trying to eat, and I had to watch him constantly because he kept getting on his back and unable to turn over again to get up. The other goslings seems pretty concerned about him also. He died during the night last night, so we are sad today.

I'm really sorry to hear about the little gosling that died. I lost a gosling last night, too. Not a Shetland. I have a Pilgrim goose that I found cold, wet, and nearly dead last spring. She had been cast out of the nest where two others were alive and well. I assumed something was wrong with her, but I took her home and put her under the lamp, thinking at least she would die warm. She not only lived, but she's friendly and beautiful. She and a female duck that she shares a pen with have great maternal instincts, but I didn't let either of them breed this year.

They built a nest together and laid their infertile eggs. I substituted with some fertile eggs from my other geese, and four hatched, including the one that died last night. I knew something was wrong with it. The other 3 goslings are doing great, and being mothered by both the goose and the duck. It's so fun to watch! I've now had many little birds come and go, but it's still sad each time one dies, though. I also haven't been able to bring myself to process any birds for meat.

I don't know what might have been wrong with your gosling. Will Holderrheads replace it? I can't remember what their policy is. Can you ask them if they might know what was wrong?

I'm attaching a photo of my surrogate "moms" with their three little goslings.

I'm really sorry to hear about the little gosling that died. I lost a gosling last night, too. Not a Shetland. I have a Pilgrim goose that I found cold, wet, and nearly dead last spring. She had been cast out of the nest where two others were alive and well. I assumed something was wrong with her, but I took her home and put her under the lamp, thinking at least she would die warm. She not only lived, but she's friendly and beautiful. She and a female duck that she shares a pen with have great maternal instincts, but I didn't let either of them breed this year.

They built a nest together and laid their infertile eggs. I substituted with some fertile eggs from my other geese, and four hatched, including the one that died last night. I knew something was wrong with it. The other 3 goslings are doing great, and being mothered by both the goose and the duck. It's so fun to watch! I've now had many little birds come and go, but it's still sad each time one dies, though. I also haven't been able to bring myself to process any birds for meat.

I don't know what might have been wrong with your gosling. Will Holderrheads replace it? I can't remember what their policy is. Can you ask them if they might know what was wrong?

I'm attaching a photo of my surrogate "moms" with their three little goslings.
Great story (apart from the one dying) and pic and the gozzies look great.

Thanks for your kind words and for sharing your beautiful story. The goose, duck and goslings look like a happy little family. I will write to Holdrreads, but this time of year if will take awhile to get a reply because they are so busy. thanks again

yes, I did get them from Holderreads. I have gotten most of my ducks and geese from them. These are the first Shetlands we have had and I was surprised how pale their legs and feet are -- they are looking good now, at first they were so white you could see their veins and arteries and I was a little worried, but they are doing well. There little beaks are quite pink also. They are a little skiddish, but generally will come close when I talk to them. We have them in a pen during the day where they can see and talk with our runners, so I'm hoping to put them out with the runners in another couple of weeks. We will be banishing the drakes to the boys area before we add the goslings to the flock.

Just another update -- I have a couple of new pictures of my Shetlands -- now they are pretty close to all grown up lol

I'm not the best at photos -- but they are turning out to be very pretty geese. They do very well with the runner ducks.

Back
Top Bottom