Shetland Geese

Just another update -- I have a couple of new pictures of my Shetlands -- now they are pretty close to all grown up lol

I'm not the best at photos -- but they are turning out to be very pretty geese. They do very well with the runner ducks.
They´re gorgeous, Nissa. Their bills orange in these pics. did they slowly change colour, or is it just the pic? Love your runners, too.

Hey all! Not to bring this thread back from the dead or anything, but as a fellow shetland goose lover I felt it necessary. :D I bought two pairs from Holderread in 2012. Last year was the first year they'd have a good chance to breed, from what I've read, and I let them go broody, but got nothing. This may well have been due to outside temperature or nutrition-- their pasture was sub-standard at that time. I'm curious if anyone has some tips about breeding this year, from those who have successfully bred shetlands in the past. Are they particularly challenging to breed, or is it just me? I was considering using an incubator or muscovy hen this year, any thoughts? Gorgeous geese by the way.

Hey all! Not to bring this thread back from the dead or anything, but as a fellow shetland goose lover I felt it necessary. :D I bought two pairs from Holderread in 2012. Last year was the first year they'd have a good chance to breed, from what I've read, and I let them go broody, but got nothing. This may well have been due to outside temperature or nutrition-- their pasture was sub-standard at that time. I'm curious if anyone has some tips about breeding this year, from those who have successfully bred shetlands in the past. Are they particularly challenging to breed, or is it just me? I was considering using an incubator or muscovy hen this year, any thoughts? Gorgeous geese by the way.
Glad ;you posted --- my Shetlands are doing well. We have the two pair, but I was wondering, before they start mating in the spring, do you know if they do better with more than one female - like a trio ? I could separate them and I am also getting more this year - so we could make some new family groups after they arrive and I know how many geese and ganders I end up with.
Sorry to hear yours didn't have any goslings. Two years ago, I incubated some geese eggs successfully inside and the geese were happy to take them at a week old. - those were American Blues and Pomeranians.

I hatched my own babies in the incubator.... I did have a 2 2 year old females try to set last year....but they didn't hatch and it was getting hot, I had too many birds in pen with too many eggs... it would have been better if they each had their own house and away from the other geese....I think it is like other geese, they get better with age...had a buff do the same thing....and they need their own nests without other birds coming and going.... I ended up with 6 females and 8 males... 8 mos. -3 years old.

Back
Top Bottom