Shipped 4 week old chicks haven’t arrived yet...

Shellebelle920

Songster
Feb 10, 2019
Southwestern Pennsylvania
I am getting very worried about my 10 four week old silkie chicks that were shipped express from Florida on Monday evening at 5pm. The breeder is a very reputable and experienced breeder. I contacted her yesterday to let her know that they hadn’t arrived and was worried they would spend another night in shipping, and she assured me that they should be okay as they have drained canned corn to eat and drink. I’ve never had chicks shipped to me before (only eggs). It is getting cold where I live... mid 60’s today but drops into the 40’s overnight. It looks like the chicks are going to be spending another night somewhere if they’re even still alive. IF they finally arrive tomorrow, it’ll have been over 48 hours since they were shipped. I am VERY concerned that I’m going to open up a box of dead 4 week old chicks that I’ve been waiting for months to arrive. Should I be expecting the worst? I don’t need a lecture about shipping chicks right now due to covid. I’m hoping to hear of other people’s success stories with chicks that didn’t arrive on time.

At four weeks old, chicks are very durable. They are usually feathered out enough where they retain their body heat very well, especially having a supply of high carb food to eat. It's a neat trick to ship chicks with a food high in water content so both feed and water needs are met during the trip.

About the only danger your chicks might face is if a dunderhead leaves their shipping crate on a shipping dock outside all night if it's freezing. This is unlikely to happen, though. Postal employees are usually very careful with baby chicks.

it's not allowed to send live chicks through the post here so have no experience but chickens don't eat in the dark so a bit unsure how they eat if they do in a dark box? Would they eat the food by smell if they got really hungry?

Back
Top Bottom