Shipped call eggs help!

Croissant

Songster
Mar 18, 2022
Hi, I’ve been incubating some call duck eggs - shipped them in and of the 14 only 4 developed and made it to today.they have about 10 more days left and I’ve been trying to limit my interactions with the egg, candling and wetting every other day and I’m worried about two in particular, one with a really large air cell and the other with a badly saddled one of which the duckling is alive as I’ve seen movements but it’s just plain weird.
Weird one:
D521A040-AED9-4954-8E94-79358FB8888C.jpeg

BF8497BC-A460-47E8-8E4D-B518BF9E6777.jpeg

Another weird one:
23A8BE26-76E1-4FEC-9DFE-BDA6B7737383.jpeg
4F4AA9DF-C02E-4BA2-AD13-4FFFDFBFF409.jpeg

It looks like a clump of veins - there’s movements

More normal one:

FFB2A579-9E28-488D-A459-25CE102CBC86.jpeg

Second more normal one:

949430EB-59C6-40E9-9458-A257C1018CE6.jpeg

All have slightly bigger air cells. I keep the humidity around 60% sometimes goes to 64% and lowers to 55%. Tempersture around 37.5C

Attachments

• 68E63D85-86FF-429D-B504-A88AEF938F6E.jpeg
    68E63D85-86FF-429D-B504-A88AEF938F6E.jpeg
    162.1 KB · Views: 2
  • 03E0FB0E-0816-45CF-9B0A-CF1C72478084.jpeg
    03E0FB0E-0816-45CF-9B0A-CF1C72478084.jpeg
    149.2 KB · Views: 2
I’m having the opposite issue my air cells are a bit ti small with a week left so I have lowered my humidity to hopefully get them to increase
I was running at 50-60 now 30-40
Do you have a calibrated hygrometer so you know it’s correctly reading humidity ?
As for the saddle air sac baby can hatch and be fine
I had all the eggs under my broody duck have saddle air cells and weird part was these were her own eggs she laid and never left her nest
They started with normal ones too

I’m having the opposite issue my air cells are a bit ti small with a week left so I have lowered my humidity to hopefully get them to increase
I was running at 50-60 now 30-40
Do you have a calibrated hygrometer so you know it’s correctly reading humidity ?
As for the saddle air sac baby can hatch and be fine
I had all the eggs under my broody duck have saddle air cells and weird part was these were her own eggs she laid and never left her nest
They started with normal ones too
Should I increase the humidity in my case? I do have a calibrated hygrometer and temperature (off by 0.5C and 1%) so they’re pretty accurate. I’m just mainly worried for the one that seems like a mass of veins. Had a failed hatch the last time with only one hatching so I’m hoping these four would all hatch! Already lost 10 so far

Should I increase the humidity in my case? I do have a calibrated hygrometer and temperature (off by 0.5C and 1%) so they’re pretty accurate. I’m just mainly worried for the one that seems like a mass of veins. Had a failed hatch the last time with only one hatching so I’m hoping these four would all hatch! Already lost 10 so far
If wanting to slow the air cells down upping humidity is the way to go but not to high
I’m going to tag @WVduckchick as she has call ducks and will know much better then I will

First, I would stop wetting them every other day. I know it seems counterproductive, but wetting them actually draws more moisture out as the mist on the shell evaporates. It also can weaken the natural bloom on the egg.

How humid is it where you live, and also where the eggs came from? The location where they were laid affects the density of the shell, so you have to consider that.

On the saddled ones, it doesn’t take much gap between the membrane and the shell to make it appear more saddled than it really is. Try to imagine where the actual air cell is, and basically ignore the saddled area and access from there, to determine if it’s too big or not.

First, I would stop wetting them every other day. I know it seems counterproductive, but wetting them actually draws more moisture out as the mist on the shell evaporates. It also can weaken the natural bloom on the egg.

How humid is it where you live, and also where the eggs came from? The location where they were laid affects the density of the shell, so you have to consider that.

On the saddled ones, it doesn’t take much gap between the membrane and the shell to make it appear more saddled than it really is. Try to imagine where the actual air cell is, and basically ignore the saddled area and access from there, to determine if it’s too big or not.
Alright I’ll stop wetting them! It’s not humid at all where I live and probably the same where the eggs came from? I’m not too sure honestly! I’ve lost an egg, it was one of the more promising ones at that, the veins suddenly went almost completely. I’m giving it another day, but if I see no movement tomorrow, I’m taking it out. Should I keep the humidity to 65%? They have 5 days left I believe, still tilted at an angle and turning. If I recall correctly, I stop turning when there’s 3 days to go, and lay them flat then as well? and should I keep the saddled side below or above when I do that?

Back
Top Bottom