Shipped Chickens

LALOM

In the Brooder
7 Years
May 13, 2012
so today I ordered a trio of young game fowl. Stag seems conjested and sneezing and a pullet the same. Another pullet which seams younger isnt showing any symptoms. I noticed clear discharge from the stags nose. They ate fine when I put feed out haven't drank anywater though. Could this be a result from shipping? Please help very worried

If you have any other chickens make sure you keep them away from them for at least 30 days to prevent them from getting sick. I would not think it would come from shipping but shipping does stress them out.

Others on here will eventually see your post and reply with better answers than mine but sometimes it takes a while for them to see your post. Hope they get better and good luck!

Thank You for the replies there almost no sneezing like earlier making less conjested noise. They do seem tired but still pretty active. The discharge doesnt smell.I think I'm going to try some baby cold medicine. Is that a bad idea?

Baby cold medicine? Why medicate if you dont know what you're dealing with. If it's environmental, simply eliminate the problem. Environmental could be pollen, feed dust, ammonia fumes from soiled bedding, cedar shavings etc....
There are many strains of different types of respiratory diseases...mild to wild. They could possibly have a mild strain. If you suspect it's a respiratory disease, you could contact your local extension office or state department of agriculture to find out if they can be tested in some manner to find out which disease you could be dealing with, perhaps bloodwork could be taken rather than a necropsy. Here's a link to respiratory diseases in poultry:
http://edis.ifas.ufl.edu/ps044
Take a look at Mycoplasma Gallisepticum (MG,) and Infectious Bronchitis (IB.) Since there is no foul odor, that basically eliminates Infectious Coryza.
Keep in mind it could be a mild strain, you might not see all the symptoms as mentioned in the link for that particular disease (MG) and/or (IB.)

Baby cold medicine? Why medicate if you dont know what you're dealing with. If it's environmental, simply eliminate the problem. Environmental could be pollen, feed dust, ammonia fumes from soiled bedding, cedar shavings etc....
There are many strains of different types of respiratory diseases...mild to wild. They could possibly have a mild strain. If you suspect it's a respiratory disease, you could contact your local extension office or state department of agriculture to find out if they can be tested in some manner to find out which disease you could be dealing with, perhaps bloodwork could be taken rather than a necropsy. Here's a link to respiratory diseases in poultry:
http://edis.ifas.ufl.edu/ps044
Take a look at Mycoplasma Gallisepticum (MG,) and Infectious Bronchitis (IB.) Since there is no foul odor, that basically eliminates Infectious Coryza.
Keep in mind it could be a mild strain, you might not see all the symptoms as mentioned in the link for that particular disease (MG) and/or (IB.)
Thank you so much for your help The stag seems to be improving The seller recommended an injectable antibiotic to be safe So I went to the feed store and all they had was Sulmet Which suppose to help with Coryza, Coccidiosis, Acute fowl Cholera,and Pullorum Disease. Think that will help?

Back
Top Bottom