Shipped Chicks and Broody - thoughts?

yakitori

Crowing
Jun 22, 2020
New York
I ordered 10 bantam hens from cackle that will be arriving friday or saturday, I also currently have a broody bantam. I’m wondering whether it would be wise to give them to my banty… My last shipment was in February and it wasnt a good experience. I lost half the chicks because they were very weak upon arrival, it took the survivors about 3 days to perk up completely.

So for this new shipment I’m anxious about whether I’ll be decreasing their odds if I had my broody foster them. Would love to hear your experiences and any advice on how to best go about this. I always have a brooder ready to go incase things go south.

Has she ever raised chicks before? If she's a good mom, I would definitely give her the chicks.
I think it's definitely still worth a try if she hasn't raised any, though. You'll just have to be more vigilant upon introductions.

I'd make sure the chicks were hydrated with sav a chick or some other product and stabilized for 24 hours before trying to foster them. Shipping is stressful to chicks and especially so to bantam chicks.

Keep them in a brooder for a day or two, monitoring and giving electrolytes etc. If they’re seemingly healthy and the broody hasn’t broken herself, try integrating then.

Has she ever raised chicks before? If she's a good mom, I would definitely give her the chicks.
I think it's definitely still worth a try if she hasn't raised any, though. You'll just have to be more vigilant upon introductions.
she’ll be a first time mom, I didn’t even take that into consideration, thanks for the reminder.

I'd make sure the chicks were hydrated with sav a chick or some other product and stabilized for 24 hours before trying to foster them. Shipping is stressful to chicks and especially so to bantam chicks.
How many days do I generally have before they stop imprinting on a hen?

Keep them in a brooder for a day or two, monitoring and giving electrolytes etc. If they’re seemingly healthy and the broody hasn’t broken herself, try integrating then.
Gotcha, I was worried they wouldn’t imprint, but this seems like the way to go. Worse come to worse, I’ll brood them myself…. ugh.

They’re here! One got trample in transit, but the rest seem to be doing as well as they could for shopped chicks. Gave them some electrolyte, and they’re currently in my day1 tank so I can keep a close eye on all of them. All seem to bave eaten and drank.

They are tiny, and I’m super nervous about giving them to the broody. She can definitely end these little ones in one angry peck 😭

Attachments

• 9F4D96C0-8F11-4096-8AA2-68426F19F7C8.jpeg
    9F4D96C0-8F11-4096-8AA2-68426F19F7C8.jpeg
    548.4 KB · Views: 2
They’re here! One got trample in transit, but the rest seem to be doing as well as they could for shopped chicks. Gave them some electrolyte, and they’re currently in my day1 tank so I can keep a close eye on all of them. All seem to bave eaten and drank.

They are tiny, and I’m super nervous about giving them to the broody. She can definitely end these little ones in one angry peck 😭
🤞best of luck

If it were me…:I’d sit out there for a few hours, and wake up before sunrise to watch again. But I’m a little “extra” 😂

Back
Top Bottom