Shipped eggs and ruptured air cells

jamesnoldsr

In the Brooder
8 Years
May 11, 2011
North Central Texas
I just candled my eggs that went into the 'bator 15 days ago. I have been having some humidity issues and wanted to check the air cell size. Some are quite small so I am going to run the humidity at about 35 percent for the next few days to help remedy that. Now the question: I have read on here that some people can tell that their shipped eggs have ruptured air cells before they set them. How can you tell? I looked at the candling photos and the eggs look clear, I don't see any air cells in those photos let alone that they are ruptured! And too, can eggs with ruptured air cells hatch? Can they get all the way to hatching and then just don't? I've been buying some hatching eggs lately and have been happy that they start to develop, which tells me that they are in fact fertile and nothing major happened to them enroute to me through the mail-- but maybe this isn't true? Can they get all the way to hatching and then die from a ruptured air cell? Thanks!

I've had eggs with ruptured air cells develop and hatch just fine. I don't know if the ruptured air cells are the problem, more that eggs that have the ruptured cells have had rough handling. The lack of development would be related to damage to the yolk, not so much damage to the aircell, I think. Hopefully some of the more experienced hatchers will chime in, but that's my understanding!!! You can tell the aircell is ruptured because when you candle the egg and turn it to the side, you can see the air bubbles move in the egg.

they can hatch with ruptured air cells. mine did. but it can cause problems. i had to help mine hatch. some of mine also grew then stopped. urs sound like there doing fine. i wouldnt worry to much till hatch day. keep an eye on them. assits only when u need to

I just finished a hatch with all ruptured or detached cells. I could tell when I set them. The ruptured ones looked bubbly, and like they were oozing if you moved the egg. The detached moved around but weren't oozing.
I set them all. Out of 14 10 started to develop. Slowly they all started to stop. I had one make it to hatch and it had to be helped out, it was a sticky chick. He is having problems right now at about 12 hours out of his shell. It was really heartbreaking. The last 4 before the one that made it died fully formed. I hope you have a great hatch though!

My eggs that I got yesterday had two ruptured air cells.

I've set them fat side up in the incubator, and plan to not turn them at all. Is that the proper protocol?

I would turn them. You are supposed to let the eggs sit for at least 24 hours after receipt in order to let them settle. Others on here have said that they have had eggs hatch that had ruptured air cells. I had already set my last batch and don't know if any or all had ruptured air cells but all are progressing well. You don't want the chicks to adhere to one side of the egg. Just act as if they are normal eggs and hope for the best! JMO

Back
Top Bottom