Shipped eggs lockdown

Sugarwags

Chirping
Sep 3, 2019
I need some input. I'm not new to hatching, shipped and my own. I did take a break though and it has been making me feel like I'm learning all over again.

I ordered ayam ketawa eggs across the states from me, they were in transit for a week so I didn't have high hopes but I gave it my best shot. Out of 14 there were 7 that developed all the way up to lockdown. 6 quit it seems immediately after I locked them down. 1 hatched on day 20. But I had a feeling when there were no other pips that something wasn't going right. And it wasn't. Not one of the quitters even tried to internally pip

Humidity during incubation was 35. All that started original development, developed great other than saddle aircell, Lockdown I set it at 46. This has worked for all of my hatches in the past shipped and my own and I've had great results for years now with that method. The incubator is a brinsea ovation 56 ex.

I know it's a long shot since everyone does things different. I'm hoping to just start a discussion about people's own methods for hatching shipped eggs, if they've encountered the same, general thoughts, etc. I have another batch of shipped ketawa eggs that go in lockdown tomorrow and I'm second guessing my method and just want the best possible outcome but am stressed. Should I have raised the humidity more? I've hatched multiple batches of ketawa eggs local pickup and my own when I had a rooster and have had horrible results with those too, all other breeds I've hatched I have great results. Sorry for the wall of text... just frustrated.

I actually had shipped eggs as well about 1 month ago. Unfortunately, like yours, only one hatched. I feel like that's just the risk with shipped eggs. And yes, the ideal humidity is around 65-70%.

I actually had shipped eggs as well about 1 month ago. Unfortunately, like yours, only one hatched. I feel like that's just the risk with shipped eggs. And yes, the ideal humidity is around 65-70%.
Yeah its definitely the risk. I was just hopeful when half of them made it to lockdown 😕. I'm apprehensive about having the humidity that high, every single time I've done that in the past it's drowned every chick and I get none! But this obviously didn't work so I'm willing to try something else. I also feel like Ayam Ketawa eggs are sensitive to begin with. It's an expensive trial and error to figure these stupid eggs out.

I use a NR360 to hatch. I did 2 shipped batched last year (well 4 but long story short the first one 2 hatched, 1 was DIS after internal pip and the rest were duds, other all were duds)..... out of the eggs I got from the GOOD seller I think all that started to develop made it to lockdown and hatched (I may have lost 1 in that time but don't think so). it was 28/34 shipped eggs in those 2 batches. I incubate at 45% and lockdown is 65% but I know each incubator is different as well...........

This time I am on day 13 with shipped eggs. got 18 had 11 develop (mostly one breed didn't develop so think issues with her breeding pen this time) and one was a quitter around day 7. so far the other 10 are going strong.......

I use a NR360 to hatch. I did 2 shipped batched last year (well 4 but long story short the first one 2 hatched, 1 was DIS after internal pip and the rest were duds, other all were duds)..... out of the eggs I got from the GOOD seller I think all that started to develop made it to lockdown and hatched (I may have lost 1 in that time but don't think so). it was 28/34 shipped eggs in those 2 batches. I incubate at 45% and lockdown is 65% but I know each incubator is different as well...........

This time I am on day 13 with shipped eggs. got 18 had 11 develop (mostly one breed didn't develop so think issues with her breeding pen this time) and one was a quitter around day 7. so far the other 10 are going strong.......
How far away did they ship them from? This specific batch took a beating while in transit and were in the transit for a week, and the "replacement" eggs weren't packaged as well and took a worse beating than the first(4 broken on arrival, holes busted in the box, no filler in the small box with the eggs, scrambled when candled before setting). The seller was great all around and I plan on trying with his eggs again. I'm just trying for a rooster, I have hens.

You have great rates, even in a nurtureright! I have never trusted that thing to do shipped eggs but I'm honestly considering it as I'm mad at my brinsea right now. I'm going to try higher humidity and see if that does anything but I'm bummed tbh.

Lockdown is tomorrow so we will see what happens. I candled today and there was another quiter and the veining on the rest is off. 😕

How far away did they ship them from? This specific batch took a beating while in transit and were in the transit for a week, and the "replacement" eggs weren't packaged as well and took a worse beating than the first(4 broken on arrival, holes busted in the box, no filler in the small box with the eggs, scrambled when candled before setting). The seller was great all around and I plan on trying with his eggs again. I'm just trying for a rooster, I have hens.

You have great rates, even in a nurtureright! I have never trusted that thing to do shipped eggs but I'm honestly considering it as I'm mad at my brinsea right now. I'm going to try higher humidity and see if that does anything but I'm bummed tbh.

Lockdown is tomorrow so we will see what happens. I candled today and there was another quiter and the veining on the rest is off. 😕
oh yikes sounds like yours went through a horrible time!!!!!!!!! I believe when I looked it up it was around 750 mi (NC to MA). The seller packs AMAZING!!!!!!! this time not as great as last year. But last year (during warm weather) the eggs were wrapped in paper towels, then bubble wrapped then placed in an egg carton which was bubble wrapped. There was iso foam all around the egg carton to protect it. I got them in I think 2 days. This time they were only wrapped in paper towels, then placed in the egg carton then think that had bubble wrap (but not as much) an in the box with stuff to make sure they didn't move. it took 3 days and they were "in limbo" according to the tracking for a day. It was colder here this time. She had said in cooler temps she does fleece around them.... I know she hurt her back a bit before mine went out and her husband was doing them so no sure if he did and that is why it wasn't as good or if she did them and didn't wrap them as well. But they all were perfect. Last year a TON had saddled air cells and this year only 1 does!!!!! As I said I had 7 that didn't develop 4 of those were all the same color/breed (think they had recently started laying again so may have been that the roo hadn't done his job yet??), 1 the same breed but different color (only one I got of that and she went on laying strike not long after) then 2 were another breed/color but I have 3 going strong from those. So think a lot of the issue for the lower # this time was one color/breed just hadn't gotten the job done yet.

As soon as these hatch I am getting more eggs of the ones that didn't develop so hopefully have better luck this time. the one I only got the single one as I said went on strike so can't get those yet.

my seller also puts stickers that say LIVE chicken embryo's do not x-ray, and fragile on the box and swear that helps. And I pick them up at the PO so they don't have to ride around all day in a bumpy mail truck.

GL with your hatch!!!!!!!!! (you should join the March hatch-a-long!

oh yikes sounds like yours went through a horrible time!!!!!!!!! I believe when I looked it up it was around 750 mi (NC to MA). The seller packs AMAZING!!!!!!! this time not as great as last year. But last year (during warm weather) the eggs were wrapped in paper towels, then bubble wrapped then placed in an egg carton which was bubble wrapped. There was iso foam all around the egg carton to protect it. I got them in I think 2 days. This time they were only wrapped in paper towels, then placed in the egg carton then think that had bubble wrap (but not as much) an in the box with stuff to make sure they didn't move. it took 3 days and they were "in limbo" according to the tracking for a day. It was colder here this time. She had said in cooler temps she does fleece around them.... I know she hurt her back a bit before mine went out and her husband was doing them so no sure if he did and that is why it wasn't as good or if she did them and didn't wrap them as well. But they all were perfect. Last year a TON had saddled air cells and this year only 1 does!!!!! As I said I had 7 that didn't develop 4 of those were all the same color/breed (think they had recently started laying again so may have been that the roo hadn't done his job yet??), 1 the same breed but different color (only one I got of that and she went on laying strike not long after) then 2 were another breed/color but I have 3 going strong from those. So think a lot of the issue for the lower # this time was one color/breed just hadn't gotten the job done yet.

As soon as these hatch I am getting more eggs of the ones that didn't develop so hopefully have better luck this time. the one I only got the single one as I said went on strike so can't get those yet.

my seller also puts stickers that say LIVE chicken embryo's do not x-ray, and fragile on the box and swear that helps. And I pick them up at the PO so they don't have to ride around all day in a bumpy mail truck.

GL with your hatch!!!!!!!!! (you should join the March hatch-a-long!
Mine shipped from Tennessee to California. I'm not crazy about his packing method. Shredded paper, smaller box inside with eggs wrapped once(some of them twice) in bubble wrap and more shredded paper. The second box had shredded paper in the outer box but no filler paper around the eggs in the second box and they had about half of the little box to slam around in. One completely came out of the bubble wrap and some broke and leaked everywhere. His customer service was great, easy to work with, overall nice guy. He puts those stickers on the outside of the box too. This one lady I order from sometimes writes nice things to the postal people lmaooooo. My local post office sucks honestly, I always ask for hold to pickup and they send them out for delivery half the time.

What do you do when you receive the eggs? Do you let them sit? When setting do you immediately start turning?

Thank you! I'm a nervous wreck about it. I need these birds lol. What's the March hatch-a-long?

Mine shipped from Tennessee to California. I'm not crazy about his packing method. Shredded paper, smaller box inside with eggs wrapped once(some of them twice) in bubble wrap and more shredded paper. The second box had shredded paper in the outer box but no filler paper around the eggs in the second box and they had about half of the little box to slam around in. One completely came out of the bubble wrap and some broke and leaked everywhere. His customer service was great, easy to work with, overall nice guy. He puts those stickers on the outside of the box too. This one lady I order from sometimes writes nice things to the postal people lmaooooo. My local post office sucks honestly, I always ask for hold to pickup and they send them out for delivery half the time.

What do you do when you receive the eggs? Do you let them sit? When setting do you immediately start turning?

Thank you! I'm a nervous wreck about it. I need these birds lol. What's the March hatch-a-long?
I let them sit for 12-48 hrs depending on when I get them and when I want them to hatch. Pointy side down. Mainly to let them come to room temp. Some say to let the air cells rest but I don't find it makes a difference honestly. I put them in and start turning right away as I would any other egg.

The March hatch-a-long is another thread, look under hatch-a-long, with a group of us that all have chicks hatching in March.

Back
Top Bottom