Shipped eggs; rant + questions

I had to throw out most of the eggs today.
sad.png
I candled them all and got rid of all the bad ones and the clear ones. I have about 8 maybes in there right now but none that look like they're for sure developing.
hmm.png
none if the eggs that I took out developed past day 1 it looked like. Some of the ones I left are really dark red as opposed to all the clear ones so maybe there's still hope. Idk though because there's still no veining. Just really dark red.

I'm soo sorry to hear that
hugs.gif
shipped eggs are really, very challenging... unless you get super lucky and they arrived un-damaged and not detached. please don't blame yourself! it is all part of the learning experience.

I started out with shipped eggs so it has made my learning curve very steep! I wish that I had bought some fertile white leghorn eggs from Trader joe's. They are really good for candling because they're white, and they're cheap so it doesn't feel like as big of a loss. and it would have been a less emotional way for me to experiment with hatching. But no, I went right for the expensive eggs! Just an idea for you
smile.png

I had my eggs shipped about the same time as you. I ordered leghorns from Alabama and legbars from Oklahoma. I was most worried about the cross country plane ride, but the Legbars arrived in two days!!! The leghorns didn't show up and were lost in the mail for SEVEN DAYS!!! through the sub zero temps and the holiday weekend! Most had detached air cells and I had no hopes of them hatching, but had to put them in the incubator anyway. I had set the previous eggs four days prior so I only let them sit at room temp for 7 hours to warm before getting them in the bator. Can you believe that I am now on day 14 and 10 of 12 are very much growing! I know leghorns are quite hardy, but I never expected such results! In my past experiences with shipped eggs, the bantam eggs just don't ship well. My first silkie eggs didn't get a single one! Second batch arrived with about 60% crushed from poor packaging and uncaring postal workers, and still got 4 to hatch. Never expect more than 50% hatch rate on shipped eggs. It's an expensive gamble...

So I bought 40 eggs from a hatchery. They sent me 8 extra. I was all excited that I would be getting at least a 50% hatch rate. NO such luck. I only had 9 eggs to hatch. These eggs cost me about 150.00. Over half the eggs didn't even show signs of fertilization. When I got the package in the mail some of them were broken and the packaging was horrible. I'll add pictures in a minute.

Last edited:
So I bought 40 eggs from a hatchery. They sent me 8 extra. I was all excited that I would be getting at least a 50% hatch rate. NO such luck. I only had 9 eggs to hatch. These eggs cost me about 150.00. Over half the eggs didn't even show signs of fertilization. When I got the package in the mail some of them were broken and the packaging was horrible. I'll add pictures in a minute.

Did you contact the hatchery at delivery regarding the damaged eggs?

In my experience, the one with the large air cell is an old egg. No fault of the P.O. but I would put that on the seller for sending old eggs. I am on my first ebay shipped eggs that are developing 100% (after tons of attempts) All of those had detached air cells when I received them so it is possible. I am on day 20 for duck eggs.

The ones in the back are the ones that were yellow after 22 days. The ones in the front look like they would have been deformed if they had of hatched. I have a sportsman cabinet 1502. That I just had a 90% hatch in the week after these came out.

I had my eggs shipped about the same time as you. I ordered leghorns from Alabama and legbars from Oklahoma. I was most worried about the cross country plane ride, but the Legbars arrived in two days!!! The leghorns didn't show up and were lost in the mail for SEVEN DAYS!!! through the sub zero temps and the holiday weekend! Most had detached air cells and I had no hopes of them hatching, but had to put them in the incubator anyway. I had set the previous eggs four days prior so I only let them sit at room temp for 7 hours to warm before getting them in the bator. Can you believe that I am now on day 14 and 10 of 12 are very much growing! I know leghorns are quite hardy, but I never expected such results! In my past experiences with shipped eggs, the bantam eggs just don't ship well. My first silkie eggs didn't get a single one! Second batch arrived with about 60% crushed from poor packaging and uncaring postal workers, and still got 4 to hatch. Never expect more than 50% hatch rate on shipped eggs. It's an expensive gamble...
So how many hatched?

I had only 1/12 legbar hatch, one expensive chick! But I had 8 leghorn hatch but lost one soon after. I'm happy! Wish I had more legbar...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back
Top Bottom