Shipped eggs that developed - how many hatch?

debonatrix

Songster
Sep 5, 2022
Hi fellow chicken enthusiasts!

I am curious......I am hatching shipped eggs for the first time. I had a couple of yolkers, but almost are all developing. We are now at day 12. For those experienced with hatching shipped eggs, how many end up making it to lockdown but then NOT hatching? What are some ways to ensure the most successful hatch possible? Thank you in advance for any help, guidance, or suggestions! :)

I used to buy shipped eggs often when I was well enough to have chickens. I found that shipped eggs coming to me did better from different areas..I knew right where to order from. Which states. And, I learned that I had a few favorites because their eggs were fertile like no other. Sounds like you got some good ones. Just go ahead and keep doing what your doing, sounds like you're doing something right to have gotten this far. I was one that didn't use much humidity during lockdown. I'm in Utah. Dry area, but I found keeping my humidity around 45 to 50 was just right. How many will hatch? You never know. Good luck!

I used to buy shipped eggs often when I was well enough to have chickens. I found that shipped eggs coming to me did better from different areas..I knew right where to order from. Which states. And, I learned that I had a few favorites because their eggs were fertile like no other. Sounds like you got some good ones. Just go ahead and keep doing what your doing, sounds like you're doing something right to have gotten this far. I was one that didn't use much humidity during lockdown. I'm in Utah. Dry area, but I found keeping my humidity around 45 to 50 was just right. How many will hatch? You never know. Good luck!
Thank you!! I'm wondering if there's a normal amount that make it to lockdown that don't hatch out. I'll be watching these ones extra close and let everyone know the results.

I think it all depends. At first I had zero luck with shipped eggs..... first group I had 3/12 develop and 2 hatch (one pipped but never made it out of the shell) but they weren't the breed that I had purchased.

next batch 0 even developed. This seller offered me more for half price so I got 12 more from her..... I had 1 that actually grew but was a very late quitter (think day 17/18?).

The same time I got the 2nd batch from the 2nd seller I ordered some from another seller as well... I got 12 from this seller as well. I had 10 that started and 10 that hatched.

Got more from this seller..... this time 22. I had 18 that started and 16 hatched..... the other 2 were late quitters (not sure why?).

so think more depends on the sellers than what you do..... well be sure humidity and temp is correct by using a hygrometer/thermometer that has been calibrated, but not much else you can do.

I think it all depends. At first I had zero luck with shipped eggs..... first group I had 3/12 develop and 2 hatch (one pipped but never made it out of the shell) but they weren't the breed that I had purchased.

next batch 0 even developed. This seller offered me more for half price so I got 12 more from her..... I had 1 that actually grew but was a very late quitter (think day 17/18?).

The same time I got the 2nd batch from the 2nd seller I ordered some from another seller as well... I got 12 from this seller as well. I had 10 that started and 10 that hatched.

Got more from this seller..... this time 22. I had 18 that started and 16 hatched..... the other 2 were late quitters (not sure why?).

so think more depends on the sellers than what you do..... well be sure humidity and temp is correct by using a hygrometer/thermometer that has been calibrated, but not much else you can do.
Thank you! That makes me feel a lot better. :)

Update!

I got 26 eggs from one person. Out of those, 17 hatched. 68% hatch rate

I got 13 eggs from another person. 7 of those hatched. 54% hatch rate

I got 12 eggs from a third person. 10 of those hatched. 83% hatch rate.

Overall, I’m very happy with the outcome! 😊❤️🐓

Back
Top Bottom