Shipped eggs to incubate -- how to's, please...

tjb

Songster
May 24, 2017
southeast texas
I just ordered a dozen eggs to be shipped.
I have had 2 successful hatches from my own eggs but unsure what the process is when they are shipped.
1.) Any special handling on my part? Will they start to develop on the journey
2.) Do I let the eggs set at room temp before setting them to incubate and if so, how long and do I turn them?

Thanks in advance.

I just ordered a dozen eggs to be shipped.
I have had 2 successful hatches from my own eggs but unsure what the process is when they are shipped.
1.) Any special handling on my part? Will they start to develop on the journey
2.) Do I let the eggs set at room temp before setting them to incubate and if so, how long and do I turn them?

Thanks in advance.
Shipped Eggs = Change of Plans

Hatching Eggs 101

Let the eggs set pointy end down for 12 hours at least, don't turn them because you need to let the air cell to settle. Also candle each egg to make sure there are no cracks.

Let the eggs set pointy end down for 12 hours at least, don't turn them because you need to let the air cell to settle. Also candle each egg to make sure there are no cracks.
Thanks. I'm kinda worried about it now. I read the 101 on shipped eggs and there is so much to do different

the only thing I would add is that I would not wait to get them in the incubator after that 12 hour rest. each day they go before incubated, you lose some.
they were gathered and shipped within an hour of when I ordered them which was about 11:30am today. I should get them Friday by 4pm or Sat by 1pm. so I will set my alarm for 12 hours from there.
now, do all agree they should not be put on the auto turner for 2-3 days?

they were gathered and shipped within an hour of when I ordered them which was about 11:30am today. I should get them Friday by 4pm or Sat by 1pm. so I will set my alarm for 12 hours from there.
now, do all agree they should not be put on the auto turner for 2-3 days?
There is lots of debate on just what the procedures should be. There is an entire thread devoted just to shipped hatching eggs. Having done a number of different ways my current procedure is to unpack the shipped eggs and allow them to warm up. After the warm up procedure I put the eggs in the preheated incubator and turn on the egg turner. My incubator is a cabinet incubator that turns the eggs by tilting the whole egg tray back and forth. My eggs are thereby incubated in the upright position rather than the horizontal position (this may make a difference on shipped eggs). My rate of hatch is slightly better for me doing things as described. Much of my failures with shipped eggs are due to the distance shipped and the fact that any shipped eggs I get are from much lower elevations than my mile high elevation. This works as good or better for me on shipped eggs as any method I have tried. This does not mean that there may or may not be better methods for others.

There is lots of debate on just what the procedures should be. There is an entire thread devoted just to shipped hatching eggs. Having done a number of different ways my current procedure is to unpack the shipped eggs and allow them to warm up. After the warm up procedure I put the eggs in the preheated incubator and turn on the egg turner. My incubator is a cabinet incubator that turns the eggs by tilting the whole egg tray back and forth. My eggs are thereby incubated in the upright position rather than the horizontal position (this may make a difference on shipped eggs). My rate of hatch is slightly better for me doing things as described. Much of my failures with shipped eggs are due to the distance shipped and the fact that any shipped eggs I get are from much lower elevations than my mile high elevation. This works as good or better for me on shipped eggs as any method I have tried. This does not mean that there may or may not be better methods for others.
Thanks for the input. I have the turner for the upright position. Hopefully the air cells won't be all wonky and it won't be as much as a concern

Back
Top Bottom