Shipped eggs to incubate -- how to's, please...

I really don't do shipped eggs much differently at all than my own eggs, and I regularly get hatches on shipped eggs of 80% or more - I've had a 100% hatch several times - so I must be doing something right :p

I let them sit fat end up in an egg carton for 24 hours after I get them. I candle and check the air cells and for any cracks. Those with air cells that are not detached go right into the incubator and I treat them just like a regular egg. Detached ones go into a different incubator without an autoturner and I don't turn them for the first few days, then just gently rock them back and forth from side to side of an egg carton until the chorio-allantoic membrane grows enough to pin the air cell back in place - usually by day ten or so.

I really don't do shipped eggs much differently at all than my own eggs, and I regularly get hatches on shipped eggs of 80% or more - I've had a 100% hatch several times - so I must be doing something right :p

I let them sit fat end up in an egg carton for 24 hours after I get them. I candle and check the air cells and for any cracks. Those with air cells that are not detached go right into the incubator and I treat them just like a regular egg. Detached ones go into a different incubator without an autoturner and I don't turn them for the first few days, then just gently rock them back and forth from side to side of an egg carton until the chorio-allantoic membrane grows enough to pin the air cell back in place - usually by day ten or so.
Great! Good to know... I did not spend a lot on the eggs given this is the first real attempt at shipped eggs so really no worries. Just would love to have a good hatch.

I ordered shipped eggs this summer. Out of the 12 eggs, only 7 hatched. Two did not develop, and three did develop but died before hatching. It too was my first experience. The eggs were shipped on a friday and were supposed to be delivered on saturday. The tracking information indicated they stayed in the regional processing center for two days, then were sent to my state's regional center sunday night. They were then delivered to my local postoffice early monday morning. I had to call the postoffice to see about getting them right away. I was able to receive them monday morning.

As soon as I got the eggs, I put them in with my broody hen. I did not know how to candle or what to look for until reading a different posting on this site two weeks later. But I learned a lot eggs development.

My advise would be not let the eggs stay out of your incubator for long.

I have a question for all of you..

I seldom hatch shipped eggs, the last time was a couple years ago. Why not start them in the incubator right away, especially if the time is iffy on them. Just do not turn the turner on for a couple days. I know from experience a couple days not turning does not hurt....5 days is too many and 18 days will destroy your hatch (oopsy, my excuse is I was sick)....

If you use a foamy cut and egg carton so they do sit upright and after a day or two lift one side of the foamy 40-45 degrees to turn them instead of lying them down and risking breaking loose a weak air sac connection.

Just wondering is all...

Back
Top Bottom