Shipped Eggs: To turn or not to turn...that is the question.

missdawne71

Hatching
Sep 19, 2016
I have read to not turn shipped eggs for the first 8 days and stop turning at day 16. I've also read that not turning causes the chicks to not be able to hatch. I've read to hatch upright and I've read to hatch laying down. So I would like some personal experience with both please and thank you. There is so much conflicting information regarding hatching/incubating eggs shipped or not. Can be a little overwhelming. Thank you!

Everybody has different opinions on this. Personally I don't rotate for the first three days. Then I stop on day 18. I've heard a lot of different theorys. This works for me.

I let my shipped eggs rest small end down for twenty four hours after I recieve them. I don't delay turning at all. I do stop turning on day eighteen, just like with my fresh eggs. I have been hatching eighty percent of the eggs I recieve through the mail.

I have read to not turn shipped eggs for the first 8 days and stop turning at day 16. I've also read that not turning causes the chicks to not be able to hatch. I've read to hatch upright and I've read to hatch laying down. So I would like some personal experience with both please and thank you. There is so much conflicting information regarding hatching/incubating eggs shipped or not. Can be a little overwhelming. Thank you!

A lot of it depends on air cells. They do need to rest at room temp 12-24 hours before set. Candle and check the air cells. If there is no damage to the air cells then it really is a point of preference to lay them down, keep them up, turn or don't. If there is damage, especially detached air cells, I would set upright in cut down cartons, and not turn for the first 3 possibly 4 days. I would never recommend more than 4. Not turning after development starts can jeopardize the development of the chicks. If air cells have not firmed up and still move, I would hatch out in the cartons. I would do the same for saddle shaped cells. If cells have firmed up, look normal I would lay down, but there's no big reason not to hatch out in cartons if you prefer.

Back
Top Bottom