shipped hatching eggs ethics question

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by millebantam, Dec 17, 2008.

1. millebantam

millebantam Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 24, 2008
    Little Rhody
    i recently bought some hatching eggs on Ebay. I had been holding out for a while for these, and they were a bit pricey. ( 40 bucks + shipping for 6 plus). Anyway, these eggs were shipped out last Wednesday by the seller, but I haven't recieved them yet. They were gathered a couple of days before shipping, and when you add the 8 days so far in the mail, that puts them over 10 days old. since I haven't gotten them yet, I can safely assume that they are lost out there somewhere.

Now here's the dilema. I contacted the seller to let him know that I never got them. He says to wait a little longer for them to show up, then try to incubate them. If the hatch sucks, then he says he will "make good" on the eggs. My real question is, what is the fair thing to do here. I've hatched enough shipped eggs to know that shipped eggs over 10 days old aren't really gonna hatch much. Heck, it's hard enough to get a good hatch with fresh shipped eggs. Now, I understand that the seller did his part, and sent out the eggs in a timely fashion. I also know that I paid a pretty good amount of dough for fresh hatching eggs, which I won't be getting. The fault lies entirely on the USPS, but how should this shake out? Should I try to hatch the old, shaken up eggs and wait 21 days before there is a resolution to the problem? Or, should the seller just send out a new batch of eggs, and get it fixed right now? I'd like to hear some opinions. Thanks in advance.

2. thecochincoop

thecochincoop Chillin' With My Peeps

You should be able to candle them after several days to see if they are good. You shouldn't have to wait the whole 21 days.

3. KellyHM

KellyHM Overrun With Chickens

Sep 10, 2008
    Lakeland, FL
    You can't really blame the seller for the PO losing a package. I think you should try to hatch them when they show up...at least long enough to candle them and see if they are developing. Or maybe work something out with the seller where you pay shipping and they re-send the order. I sell hatching eggs, and so far I haven't had a problem, but I wouldn't have the money to keep shipping eggs every time the PO screwed up. Just MHO. [​IMG]

4. KellyHM

KellyHM Overrun With Chickens

Sep 10, 2008
    Lakeland, FL
    By the way, do you sell Cochin eggs? [​IMG]

5. deerman

deerman Rest in Peace 1949-2012

Aug 24, 2008
    Southern Ohio
    Good reason, for not buying eggs over 2 days old. How did they ship?

Would candle eggs when you receive them, check the size of the air cells, then check after 7 days, then let the seller know.

Myself I would refund or replace the eggs, lot of money for 6 eggs. depends on what type.

Good way to see what you should pay, check and see what the chicks sell for, then cut that price in half. Should be your high price per egg.

Do you have a tracking number, best to ship with tracking # .

I alway do, cost very little.

6. ugly ducky

ugly ducky Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 26, 2008
    S.E. MO
    I just got some eggs that were 8 days in transit. I don't have much hope, but have them in the bator and will candle at 7 days to see if there is any hope. If not, the seller has offered to replace them if I pay the shipping, which I think is fair enough. She did a great job packing, and shipped Priority with plenty of info on the box, so it isn't her fault either. Priority is not guaranteed to arrive within any time period. They say 2-3 days, but no promises. Go figure....you pay extra for Priority, but the USPS doesn't have to uphold their part of the transaction. Good luck with your eggs.

7. johnmayersquare

johnmayersquare Let's Talk About Chicks, Man!

Nov 17, 2007
    Port Orchard, WA
    I also had some eggs shipped that were 7-8 days in transit and not one hatched and I paid over $60 for the dozen of them........Pricey for a dud hatch! [​IMG]

8. deerman

deerman Rest in Peace 1949-2012

Aug 24, 2008
    Southern Ohio
    Quote:Sorry but anyone shipping eggs weeks of during the CHRISTMAS rush, are partly at fault.

Would never even think of shipping live birds or egg weeks before Christmas. If more people would ship egg like they had living chicks in them.

That why all my eggs are pack and Guarantee to get there unbroken. Never can Guarantee hatch rate. incubators,and how they are incubated

9. jimnjay

jimnjay Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 11, 2007
    Bryant Alabama
    I agree, you could try to hatch the ones when they arrive and candle at 4 to 5 days to check for development. Offer to pay shipping for a new order but by all means do not ship during the holiday rush. It is a terrible time to try. If you are in a huge hurry try UPS or FedEx ground. They do guarantee and they make good the lose for the cost of eggs and shipping if they are damaged. I recentley received 16 Faverolle eggs and 15 developed. I dropped one candling and still have 14 hatch. I am considering FedEx ground for all my eggs. It is a few dollars more but well worth the money.

10. gumpsgirl

gumpsgirl Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Mar 25, 2008
    Virginia
    I, like everyone else that has commented thus far, would go ahead and put them in the bator for 7 to 10 days and then candle. You will know by then if the eggs will be any good or not. They probably won't be, but that way the seller knows you tried and everyone gets what they want in the end and everyone is happy. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by