shipped weak chick incubator or brooder

Talithahorse

Songster
11 Years
Mar 5, 2012
Hartselle, Al
So I had an order of peeps shipped and they ended up at the wrong post office. When we got them home, all were doing well except one. She is a bit smaller than the others and barely moving when they arrived. I gave her some sugar water to pep her up and popped her in the incubator to get her all warm. She is drinking and eating and generally looking better. My question is should I keep her in the incubator by herself overnight or return her with the others. I don't want to overheat her in the incubator but the others are a little more boisterous than she is right now. Ideas?

So I had an order of peeps shipped and they ended up at the wrong post office. When we got them home, all were doing well except one. She is a bit smaller than the others and barely moving when they arrived. I gave her some sugar water to pep her up and popped her in the incubator to get her all warm. She is drinking and eating and generally looking better. My question is should I keep her in the incubator by herself overnight or return her with the others. I don't want to overheat her in the incubator but the others are a little more boisterous than she is right now. Ideas?
If you have brooder setup,, with the correct temperature, then slip into brooder.
If brooder is not quite warm for initial days,, then keep lil chick inside incubator,,, but open it up some so it does not get too warm. Can you adjust the incubator temperature down to about 90 to 95°F:idunno

WISHING YOU BEST,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,:highfive:

Thank you so very much for your reply. I did drop the temp down to 93 degrees with a small cooling period. I just wanted to make sure that 93 wouldn't be too warm for her. The last thing she needed was to overheat as well.

I don't want to overheat her in the incubator but the others are a little more boisterous than she is right now. Ideas?
As long as she stands up and moves when they step on her, then in the brooder with her mates is preferred.

If she isn't responding when they step on her then incubator with reduced temp to avoid trampling.

Poultry nutri drench found at TSC and most feed stores (not sure about wally.. a little in the first drinker of water and/or a direct drop just below the nostrils on the beak of a weak chick will roll around and be swallowed upon entry to the mouth.. makes a huge difference.. it's rapid acting and has saved many a shipped chick!

Putting her by herself if she ins't being trampled will be an added stress for her.. Hope she continues to thrive! :fl

Back
Top Bottom