shipping birds, what's too hot?

klf73

Mad Scientist
14 Years
Jun 1, 2008
Maine
I am sooo bummed. I bought some birds from someone in Oklahoma, it is now too hot to ship
sad.png
. Weather was ok but now it is in the 90's. I had big plans for these birds and don't want to really wait till fall to get them. Is there any way to safely ship them(cooling packs or anything?) or am I just stuck?

good to know, I didn't know that. So unless a cold front moves through it looks like I won't have these till fall right?
sad.png
I don't know much about Oklahoma weather...

Quote:
Sorry to hijack klf, please forgive me.
Katy, does that apply to chicks as well or only grown birds?
I have chicks due to ship out Wednesday from Ideal in Texas and it's hitting 95 by noon here each day. I imagine its a little bit hotter down there in Cameron, TX.
hmm.png

Quote:
Sorry to hijack klf, please forgive me.
Katy, does that apply to chicks as well or only grown birds?
I have chicks due to ship out Wednesday from Ideal in Texas and it's hitting 95 by noon here each day. I imagine its a little bit hotter down there in Cameron, TX.
hmm.png

It doesn't apply to day olds as far I know......just juvenile or adult birds.

Quote:
I'm about 1 1/2 hours north of the OK KS border. We've went from almost 100 down to about 70 today, something that doesn't happen often this time of year here. I don't know where in OK your birds are coming from or even if this front will get that far, but maybe they can get them shipped if it does.

no problem, that is good to know also as I have some chicks coming from Texas in a couple weeks also
wink.png

I read that the airlines had bumped the maximum temperature for shipping day old birds from 85 to 95 degrees. Senator Charles Grassley from Iowa helped to get that changed because the hatcheries were about to be financially ruined if the 85 degree rule remained.

I don't remember if the post office signed onto the change or not but I'm in Texas and it was in the 90's when I received my 35 chicks on June 2nd from My Pet Chicken.

Back
Top Bottom