Shipping birds?

Live Birds are shipped USPS. To my knowledge you can ship from any Post Office in the country.

1. You need the right shipping container.
2. You need to be NPIP.
3. Ship Express.
4. Call the State Vet in the State where you are shipping too. Ask if they require anything beside NPIP. Some States require AI Clean as well.

Quote:
The only thing I cant do is the NPIP because I dont even know who to contact about it because I was wanting to do it for a while now.
But theres a swap coming up in october that I was going to take the birds I was selling to get tested at the free testing clinic next Sunday.

That will work.

Now, you are suppose to contact your State Vet before shipping and get the proper Health Papers to put with the container.

Here in SC, we are given a 'book' of the proper forms. One goes to the buyer, one stays with you and one goes to your State Vet.

If you are going to begin to sell and ship birds, I would suggest that you call your State Vet and arrange to get NPIP certified. It will make it alot easier for you in the future.

Quote:
The only thing I cant do is the NPIP because I dont even know who to contact about it because I was wanting to do it for a while now.
But theres a swap coming up in october that I was going to take the birds I was selling to get tested at the free testing clinic next Sunday.

Here is a list of contacts for each state. Find your state and email or call the person listed and let them know you want to become NPIP certified. http://www.aphis.usda.gov/animal_health/animal_dis_spec/poultry/downloads/osa-npip.pdf

Shipping birds is not hard to do; it is just a bit complicated at the first. Once you navigate your way thru the process it becomes a breeze.

I also cut-up and place and apple in the box with the birds I ship. Also, mix water in their feed on the morning you ship them.

That list is very helpful! Thank you! okay so at the moment, I live in MD but my birds are in PA at my MIL's house because we are working on getting our coops built here in MD. would I just go ahead an become NPIP cert. in PA until out coops are done an then become MD cert. or how should I go about that?

Last edited:
I'd put everything off until you have the birds in Maryland and then get certified.

Only get certified if you are going to sell/ship birds or show birds. Otherwise you are wasting your time and the State Vet's time.

Remember,

When you call the State Vet you are not actually going to speak with the State Vet nor should you ask too. Once you call the State Vet's office ask for someone in the Poultry Division. The State Vet is way to busy to answer all our calls. They are the administrative head over a host of other vets and techs.

Also I can tell you because I happen to know the state vet's in MD. There are only a few left to do the entire state. They are VERY busy with fairs right now.

Back
Top Bottom