Shipping chicks during the summer?

smott

Songster
Apr 15, 2020
I am having trouble finding local breeders for some types of chicks that I am wanting. I'm just curious if it is a bad idea to have chicks shipped this time of year? I'm in Louisiana and temps here are in the 90's every day, and I am concerned about the heat. Also, has anyone experienced shipping delays due to the postal service back-up? I understand that most hatcheries offer to replace chicks that are DOA, however I don't want to be responsible for their deaths by ordering at a bad time! Has anyone personally ordered chicks to be shipped to the southern US recently that can share their personal experience (which hatchery, etc)

I am having trouble finding local breeders for some types of chicks that I am wanting. I'm just curious if it is a bad idea to have chicks shipped this time of year? I'm in Louisiana and temps here are in the 90's every day, and I am concerned about the heat. Also, has anyone experienced shipping delays due to the postal service back-up? I understand that most hatcheries offer to replace chicks that are DOA, however I don't want to be responsible for their deaths by ordering at a bad time! Has anyone personally ordered chicks to be shipped to the southern US recently that can share their personal experience (which hatchery, etc)
I have not. I did consider it but, after reading shipment problems of other people during the regular season, I decided Not to chance it. Personally, I'm going to wait. It's too hot here in Florida.

Postal service is really FK** up at the moment, this comment came from my postmaster last week when I went down to see where my package was at, it's still missing. It was shipped to me with priority mail. I'm getting replacement sent with Fedex instead.

Postal service is really FK** up at the moment, this comment came from my postmaster last week when I went down to see where my package was at, it's still missing. It was shipped to me with priority mail. I'm getting replacement sent with Fedex instead.
Yes, I've read multiple stories about packages being "lost" while they sit unattended in warehouses. I was just wondering if live cargo would be treated with any extra care, but it's probably best not to chance it.

My purchase was for live mealworms and they lost it. I don't even know how long they can survive during the delivery, but they're probably all dead.

I'm not in the south, but I have received two shipments of chicks this summer during 85-95 degree weather. 3 shipments since covid started, but it was a little cooler for one of them. Three different hatcheries, JM Hatchery for Guineas, Ideal Poultry for 15 layers and some keets, and Thechickhatchery for 25 cornish x. I had ZERO DOAs. Three cornish x failed to thrive and passed in first week from Chick Hatchery. Same for 2/15 keets from JM Hatchery. All in all USPS has done me very well this summer, the latest time being august 1st delivery in 90+ degree weather. That was the Ideal delivery, all alive.
20200702_081123.jpg

Due to the extreme heat in LA, if you're not in a rush, it may make sense to wait another month. It may be just fine now though. It's really up to how quickly you want/need your birds.

Back
Top Bottom