Shipping chicks may come to an end?

I doubt UPS or Fedex would start to ship the live chicks. If they did, would they do it for similar pricing to USPS? Where would people pick up the birds the morning they arrived-Fedex and UPS don't have quite the customer/retail presence the USPS does, especially at 5 am when my post office calls to say the chicks have arrived. No way could the hatchlings stay on the truck all day for household delivery, not according to anyone I've heard from who handles lots of hatchery shipments. The link I got to one of the hatcheries rang true. There are lots of industries in trouble these days, and there are other signs that hatcheries are having a hard time, like new quantity limits, weeks-long delays in availability, birds no longer being sold sexed in certain breeds, to name a few.

I know this is an older thread but I wanted to rant a bit. I shipped chicks and took them to one of our post offices that is open on Sunday. I dropped them off at 3:30 PM on November 1. It is now 8:30 AM on November 4th and they still haven't arrived at their destination.
Almost 65 hours and they are still 45 miles from their destination.
We paid $56.20 to ship 8 chicks by express mail and were guaranteed to arrive by 11/3 3:00 PM.

I know this is an older thread but I wanted to rant a bit. I shipped chicks and took them to one of our post offices that is open on Sunday. I dropped them off at 3:30 PM on November 1. It is now 8:30 AM on November 4th and they still haven't arrived at their destination.
We paid $56.20 to ship 8 chicks by express mail and were guaranteed to arrive by 11/3 3:00 PM.
I’m sorry to hear that. I hope they make it.

Ugh. Sorry that sucks. I don’t understand why this kinda thing happens. I’ve never shipped chicks only adults. I shipped a hen and a rooster at the same time in two different boxes once going to the same address. The rooster arrived in 24 hrs yet the hen didn’t get there til the next day just under 48 hrs. The only explanation is some of the employees absolutely suck and don’t give a d*mn about the birds in the boxes. There’s no other explanation! In my instance I guess the hen in another identical box with the same address put the plane over the weight limit?🙄

Shipping in this particular time frame probably wasn’t the brightest idea.
I understand that and I have been concerned for months about shipped chicks and eggs.
However, this was my last hatch of the year and the buyer didn't want to wait till next year.
They hatched on Sunday and according to regulations, had to be shipped on Sunday.
The USPS doesn't say, "don't ship anything important now because we are currently going through a transition during which time we will suck".
They guaranteed they would arrive by 3PM Tuesday. That's 2 days.
The truck took them to the distribution center downtown and they sat there for 30 hours before being forwarded.

Back
Top Bottom