Shipping chicks/post office question

LovinAK

In the Brooder
Feb 21, 2015
Hello everyone, newbie here and concerned about my first "batch" of baby chicks being shipped!

I will be having baby chicks shipped to a post office an hour away from my regular post office. I did this to try to increase their chances of survival due to the fact that it will still be cold here in Alaska around Easter when they are due to arrive.

The post office I chose was one right next to the airport where all of the mail arrives before being distributed to the other post offices. I wanted to drive there to pick them up as soon as they arrive to get them into a warm car as soon as possible.
My question that I can't seem to find a definitive answer to is; Has anyone had chicks shipped to a post office other than their own with success?

I'm sure I'm freaking out over nothing, but wanted to know if anyone else has done this. I'd ordered from Murray McMurray and they assured me my name and phone number would be on the box and the post office will call me...but since I don't have a PO box there I didn't know if that would cause an issue. I've tried calling this main post office several times and no one ever answers. My next step is to go in there, stand in line and ask a postal worker..
hu.gif

Anyone with advice or who has done the same please let me know, thanks!!!

Last edited:
In my experience (not with chicks, but arranged mail during a long boat trip) arrangements have to me made in advance with the postmaster or the packages get returned to sender. We did not always keep our predetermined schedule and much never made it to us. They never tried to reach us.

I'd make sure you get through one way or the other.

I would also make the trip to the PO and talk to them in person. I didn't notify my PO of my last 2 shipments of chicks, and they did call me to get them anyway, but they also deal with my normal mail. Always better to be safe than sorry.
Good luck!

How soon are the chicks coming? any chance you could mail a letter to that post master asking him to call you because you have an order of chicks coming to his post office and you want to make sure that everything will be all right and that you have tried to telephone him but have not been able to get an answer.

I would do whatever I thought was needed to NOT give the government postal service to opportunity to
make a mistake and then hide it away in miles of bureaucracy.
Forgive my sarcasm and pessimism relative to the government.

I have ordered from Murray McMurray also, and they ship to the main post office in my area, instead of the one closest to me as well. Murray McMurray puts my phone number on the package and the post office calls me when the chicks arrive. I then drop everything to go and pick them up. The chicks will be fine until you arrive. The box they come in has holes in it, and the postmasters can hear them. They think it's pretty cool and they immediately do what they can to be sure the chicks survive, which means they will definitely call you as soon as the package arrives. Don't worry. Everything will be alright! :)

Remember, chicks that have just been hatched can survive without food and water for 2 days. The yolk they just ingested keeps them alive.

Last edited:
Thank you so much! It's good to know someone else had their chicks shipped to a different post office other than the one they get their regular mail from. I finally went down there this morning-I couldn't stand the suspense! The postal worker, two actually, were very nice and informed me that they try to call right away to see if the recipient wants to come ASAP to pick them up, even if they are being shipped to another post office. Since this particular post office is the main hub for mail in this area, they said they would rather have people pick up the chicks there, rather than making them wait to be driven out to other post offices.
A heavy weight has been lifted off my shoulders. Now I'll have to just anxiously await our 22 new kids on Easter (hopefully all make it
fl.gif
)
Thanks again for the reassurance!

Quote: Awesome!!! Always good to be thorough with our research, especially during the firsts of life. And good to know straight from the postmasters that they do what they do out of good consciences. Sounds exactly like what I did my first time. I went down myself to check it out and make sure I wasn't missing anything that I should know. Would hate to lose those chickies and have to start over again, especially when there is a deadline. Here in AZ, we need to avoid the extreme heat, so timing is everything, and delays are not affordable.

I just wanted to give an update since starting this thread asking the question about having chicks shipped to a different post office...
Everything went SO smooth and the post office I had the chicks shipped to (an hour away from my regular post office but closer to the airport) called me as soon as they arrived.
I was AMAZED at how fast these chicks arrived. McMurray Hatchery did a wonderful job with packaging and providing "gro-gel" in with the birds for their trip.
They went from Iowa to Alaska in 22 hours total. Even though priority mail on the shipping label was for 3 days. They were shipped out on Good Friday at 10pm and arrived at the Anchorage post office the following Saturday night at 8:00pm. Had this not have been a regular post office I'm sure they would have sat overnight until Sunday (Easter) morning. This particular post office happened to be open for pickups until 11pm the night I picked them up.
All 22, including our rare exotic which we think is a Golden Polish, made it alive and well.
It has been 6 days and everyone is still doing great!
Since this is the first time I've ever had chicks shipped from a hatchery, and having heard horror stories of dead chicks and long travel times, I would have to say I couldn't have asked for any better service and would definitely go through McMurray Hatchery again in the future.
We are in love with these chicks!

Back
Top Bottom