Shipping chicks

Leo smith

In the Brooder
Apr 28, 2022
This is my first time getting already hatched chicks online. And their going to be shipped in two weeks. And zi just want to know if raising shipped chicks is any different. And when I get them do I need to do anything with them to keep them stress free or just put them in the brooder. I'm getting four silkie chicks and I'm super excited I've been looking for a good silkie breeder for months.

I have some experience with shipped chicks, but not specifically with silkies.

Have the brooder set up the day before you expect the chicks (heat source, food, water).
Put them into the brooder as soon as you get them home.

Have a heat lamp (not brooder plate) for at least the first day or so.
They arrive cold, hungry, and thirsty. If you use a heat lamp, they can be warm while they eat and drink, and you can see them all the time to see how they are doing.

If you want to use a brooder plate, or a heating pad cave, you can start using it a few days later. By that time, they should be able to eat and drink and then go back to warm up. But right at first, when they have been shipped, they need to do everything at once-- which is not possible with certain heat sources.

Some people dip their beaks in water, to show them where/how to drink.
I prefer to put glass marbles in the water, and let them discover it themselves. They go peck at the shiny marbles, get a taste of water, and start drinking.
I think the marbles are less stressful than grabbing the chicks to dip their beaks, but either way seems to work well enough for plenty of people.

Very good advice.

I will add to run the heat lamp at least overnight to make sure that the brooder is good and warm (but not neglecting to leave a cooler corner). This is probably more important for those of us who brood outdoors where the ground could be cold.

Some people dip their beaks in water, to show them where/how to drink.
I prefer to put glass marbles in the water, and let them discover it themselves. They go peck at the shiny marbles, get a taste of water, and start drinking.
I think the marbles are less stressful than grabbing the chicks to dip their beaks, but either way seems to work well enough for plenty of people.

I have to pick them up to unbox and count them anyway so that's a good time to dip the beak in the water. I also photograph them and make sure I've got the breeds I ordered.

Back
Top Bottom