Shipping chicks

SundownWaterfowl

Crowing
14 Years
Mar 16, 2008
Southern Columbia County NY
I was wondering, if I were to ship chicks next fall, do they need to be tested if they are under 4 months old when shipped? The NPIP and the other people that test for the fair, dont test birds under 4 months old.

Also, how do I find out if my post office ships birds? I went in and asked them, and they had NO clue! They started flipping though the books. Ugh. I might want to ship some Silkie chicks next fall, and I want to make sure I have all in the info. for shipping.

Quote:
Contact your local agricultural department and get the NPIP number and call them. You need to have your flock tested. If your older birds test clean (over 4 months) your flock is clean and you can sell hatching eggs and chicks.
Try to talk to you postmaster they'll will usally know whats going on.

Quote:
Contact your local agricultural department and get the NPIP number and call them. You need to have your flock tested. If your older birds test clean (over 4 months) your flock is clean and you can sell hatching eggs and chicks.

I called the NPIP testing center in NY and the lady said it isnt worth getting everybody tested. Where can I find the "laws" for shipping chicks and eggs out of NY. I found them once, and cant find them again.

Last edited:
Quote:

I called the NPIP testing center in NY and the lady said it isn't worth getting everybody tested. Where can I find the "laws" for shipping chicks and eggs out of NY. I found them once, and cant find them again.

I know in the state of Wa you have to be NPIP tested to sell hatching eggs or chicks. Unfortunately the PO never checks...Period. Be nice if everyone was on the same page LOL. I'll see if I cant find anything for you
smile.png

Back
Top Bottom