Shipping disaster, two survivors

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by Frankenshine, Mar 5, 2011.

1. 14chickmama

14chickmama Chirping

Jan 6, 2011
    [​IMG] so sorry!! I've heard poly vitamin drops without iron helps but I've never had to do it. Just read it somewhere. Hope your little one perks up and you get some more chicks!! Good luck!!

2. cfdf

cfdf Songster

Apr 12, 2010
    That's horrible! [​IMG] The postal service can be brutal on items sometime. And of course this crazy weather isn't helping any. Weather certainly could have been a factor. If I were you, I would do as others have already mentioned. I'd find a feed store or TSC that has some chickies and get 1 or 2 more to keep your survivng chick company. I'd be going today! Maybe that would help motivate your loaner to get better. Then, call Ideal and let them know about your order. Hopefully they will mail you out another order ASAP.

3. mallory2013

mallory2013 Songster

Mar 3, 2011
    Eastern CT
    [​IMG] I am so sorry! I can't imagine how heatbreaking that must be. I can't offer you any adivice since I'm still new but I am sending positive thoughts your way! I hope everyo thing works out! [​IMG] [​IMG]

4. FMAFarms

FMAFarms Songster

Feb 20, 2011
    Rural Michigan
    I'm so sorry to hear about your little chicks! I agree with the PP about long fingernails (no polish!) reminding a chick instinctively about a mother's beak. I'd worry that the Polyvisol might be too strong, even mixed with water. Just try diluted sugar water instead, keep her warm, and if you haven't let Ideal know call them ASAP!! Unfortunately, it does seem that Tractor Supply has a 6-chick minimum. Check Craigslist for your area and see if there are any breeders/farmers who have week-old chicks to keep yours company. A small-ish stuffed animal to simulate mama and chickie siblings would be good for her to snuggle up against. Poor you and poor little chicks. [​IMG]

5. CowgirlPenny

CowgirlPenny Songster

Feb 17, 2011
    South East TN
    Aww, I'm so sorry. My Ideal order arrived so fast, I hate to hear that. I would call for sure and have them send out more, or refund so you can go to TSC and get one or two more to keep your chick company. I would get a few more chicks asap either way, even if they aren't the breed you want. You could always sell them later on, but they will keep your weak chick warm in the meantime.

How many did you originally order? You said there were 5 survivors, did you just order 5 or is that all that were alive on arrival?

If you don't want to buy 6 chicks at TSC, see if there is someone else in the store that's buying chicks and see if they will let you pay them for just a few chicks on their order.

6. Frankenshine

Frankenshine In the Brooder

Feb 6, 2011
    Louisville, KY
    I ordered 12, they packed 17 (I thought 20, but recounted the dead) There were five still alive when I got the box open. By alive, I just mean breathing. They were all very cold, and floppy. Out of those 5, I just have the one little EE still alive. I named her Ayla - for any Earth's Children nerds out there. She's tough!

She is doing pretty well now. She sat in the palm of my hand and ate the yolk, which I saturated with sugar water. The more she ate, the faster she ate it. She must have filled her teeny little crop, considering how small she is. She's peeping when I talk to her, and she seems to prefer being snuggled under my chin/neck to the brooder [​IMG] She now pecks at my little 1cc syringe for the water drops from the end. I have to say she is recovering much, much faster than I anticipated. She's still wobbly on her legs, but she's determined - she even tries to scratch her head while standing on one foot!

I did make my replacement order. I also called TSC, but decided not to get six chicks because I think it might be too overwhelming. She'd be the weakest by far, and since I also have 5 week olds, I don't want to get into a situation where I have three chick nurseries - bigs, littles, and the sick bay. I'll spoil the heck out of her until the new chicks arrive so she isn't lonely.

7. Frankenshine

Frankenshine In the Brooder

Feb 6, 2011
    Louisville, KY
    Oh, and the next shipment should go out Wed. and arrive Friday, so she'll only be a singleton for a little less than a week.

8. KatieBugg

KatieBugg Songster

Dec 21, 2010
    Holts Summit, MO
    I am so sorry you had to go through this, I had a chick that was not doing good, I did the egg yolk with wet crumbles for several days and it really brought the little one around.

9. HorseFeatherz NV

HorseFeatherz NV Eggink Chickens

[​IMG] How is she doing?

10. lotzahenz

lotzahenz Songster

Aug 28, 2008
    Lexington, Kentucky
    So very sorry for your loss, that happened to me once, was the post office's fault. I give my warm sugar water, the liquid carbs do the trick, if anything will. I'd also give it a stuffed animal to snuggle with, that helps too. You can do like a few others, stand outside the TSC door and ask every customer if they'd buy you a bantam or two? Make a deal in the parking lot. I wish you the best of luck and am so sorry for you.

HenZ [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: