BerrytangleFarm

British and Scandinavian Poultry
9 Years
Dec 11, 2010
Kitsap County, WA
My Coop
My Coop
Quick Question --

I just got a shipment of $65/dozen eggs that was pretty badly beaten up with evidence of leaking out the side.

Do I take it to the PO to open it and prove the mishandling or would they do anything anyway??

I have taken "Fragile", "This Side Up" packages to the PO before and had to pay and extra handling fee. It isn't as simple as just writing those words on the box. I would take close ups of the label and postage and go to the PO with printed copies of your pictures to file a complaint. If you didn't have insurance on the package I doubt it will do any good. If you find out that the shipper didn't pay the handling fee then it is their fault and they should compensate you for your losses. Good luck! Those are very sad pictures. I'm sorry this happened to you.

I called the USPS 800 number. They took info and said the local PO would contact me but they gave little hope since it wasn't insured.

When I asked if I should take it to the local PO to open as proof, the woman said "we're not supposed to tell you what you should or shouldn't do." ????????????

I would send the pix to the shipper. Usually they will try to compensate you in some way even if it's just reshipping the eggs & you pay postage. Was this an order from this site, e-bay or somewhere else...

Contact the BYCer & show them pix before you open the box & then again of what is inside. Most BYCers are really good about making things right even if it was the post office's fault.

Opened this in front of the supervisor at our local PO. It was clear that the two eggs on the more smashed-in corner of the box were shattered and oozed all over. The box smelled pretty bad from the outside and awful from the inside. That reinforces my resolve to pack eggs in a box and put that box in a larger box like I've done before. Not even foam will keep a blow or sufficient strength from breaking eggs.

I learned some interesting facts from the PO supervisor:

--machines do most of a package's movement from point to point, and, since machines can't read, the markings on the outside are of little consequence

--marking something "live hatching eggs" will give it more notice and maybe even special handling (from the humans who will supersede the machines

I will hope that the remaining eggs won't be scrambled, but, in my past experience, that is usually the case.

Marking it live hatching eggs may keep it from being x-rayed. Without insurance the post office is not obligated to give you a refund. You must pay for that service to receive it. USPS and UPS both mainly use machines. Shipping is very rough on parcels.

Well, I put the surviving eggs into the incubator today. Here's hoping for a miracle
fl.gif

And I woke up to find two out of the three new baby chicks dead this morning. Consensus is that it was a genetic issue. I tell you, this week has been pretty difficult!

My husband picked up three EEs to keep the surviving chick company. Seems they took to each other immediately (see if you can find the yellow/chocolate chick butt under the new babies).

Back
Top Bottom