shipping eggs from low to high altitude? (my first try at hatching)

88heather

Songster
10 Years
May 9, 2009
Black Forest, CO
We are in Colorado (about 7400 ft altitude).. I ordered some hatching eggs from Arkansas .. shipped on MOnday and received and put in my Mini Advance Brinsea incubator, Wednesday. I wondered if altitude can be a factor with them hatching. The eggs were packed great (got them from Gabbard farms online).. I think the incubator is really good.. This is my first ever try at hatching and now I'm fretting about if they could survive the change in altitude?? or am I worrying about nothing? I just hope this hatch happens!! 20 days to go! I just know so many factors go into whether they'll hatch or not.

Anyone have any thoughts on this?

Hi there

I can see little harm coming to your eggs after a change of altitude but they should be rested and checked for any damage. Where altitude is a factor to consider in incubation is humidity. usually a higher altitude means a lower relative humidity due to air density. This is not so much of a problem if you choose to keep your incubator's humidity on the low side.

To help you here's a link my Incubation Guide for more detailed advice;

https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=491013

More incubation information is available on our website including incubation of shipped eggs;

http://oakgarthgeese.com

Best of luck to you.

Pete
wink.png

Quote:
Hello from WY!!
I have been getting shipped eggs and have had a poor hatch rate, but again could of been operator errror LOL so am 7 days away from another hatch using a Brinsea Octagon 20, so far so good have a total of 14 out of 25 eggs still in there, these are Silkies. So good luck
Ayda

I am wondering how this turned out. I am thinking of getting some eggs from TN and have had a couple of people tell me that it just wont work.

I did hatch out 2 and finally decided to order some hens and got 2 roosters Will be getting eggs soon and will be hatching my own. have Lavender Orpingtons that I hatched and am incubating some of their eggs. What breed are you looking to hatch?? I can send some Lav Orp eggs if you want??? Pay shipping and I can also send EE mutts for practice, just let me know
Ayda

I am wondering how this turned out. I am thinking of getting some eggs from TN and have had a couple of people tell me that it just wont work.

It does work but am not sure where you live?. I think my eggs received in late fall hatched alot better, but the %was not great. I ended up with 1 nice rooster and 3 nice hens, lav orps and am now hatching their eggs. Will do same for the Silkies I hatched .
Ayda

Okay that is bizzar...I want Lavendar Orphingtons!!! I am so excited! How soon could you send them? I am new to ths site, can you send me a private message? Can you post pics of the parents? Where did you get your original eggs?

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom