shipping eggs from low to high altitude? (my first try at hatching)

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by 88heather, Sep 1, 2011.

1. 88heather

88heather Chillin' With My Peeps

May 9, 2009
    Black Forest, CO
    We are in Colorado (about 7400 ft altitude).. I ordered some hatching eggs from Arkansas .. shipped on MOnday and received and put in my Mini Advance Brinsea incubator, Wednesday. I wondered if altitude can be a factor with them hatching. The eggs were packed great (got them from Gabbard farms online).. I think the incubator is really good.. This is my first ever try at hatching and now I'm fretting about if they could survive the change in altitude?? or am I worrying about nothing? I just hope this hatch happens!! 20 days to go! I just know so many factors go into whether they'll hatch or not.

Anyone have any thoughts on this?

2. pete55

pete55 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 19, 2011
    Suffolk, UK
    Hi there

I can see little harm coming to your eggs after a change of altitude but they should be rested and checked for any damage. Where altitude is a factor to consider in incubation is humidity. usually a higher altitude means a lower relative humidity due to air density. This is not so much of a problem if you choose to keep your incubator's humidity on the low side.

To help you here's a link my Incubation Guide for more detailed advice;

https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=491013

More incubation information is available on our website including incubation of shipped eggs;

http://oakgarthgeese.com

Best of luck to you.

Pete [​IMG]

3. Wyogirl

Wyogirl Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 5, 2010
    Cody, WY
    Quote:Hello from WY!!
    I have been getting shipped eggs and have had a poor hatch rate, but again could of been operator errror LOL so am 7 days away from another hatch using a Brinsea Octagon 20, so far so good have a total of 14 out of 25 eggs still in there, these are Silkies. So good luck
    Ayda

4. ahahn

ahahn Out Of The Brooder

Feb 10, 2012
    I am wondering how this turned out. I am thinking of getting some eggs from TN and have had a couple of people tell me that it just wont work.

5. Wyogirl

Apr 5, 2010
    Cody, WY
    I did hatch out 2 and finally decided to order some hens and got 2 roosters Will be getting eggs soon and will be hatching my own. have Lavender Orpingtons that I hatched and am incubating some of their eggs. What breed are you looking to hatch?? I can send some Lav Orp eggs if you want??? Pay shipping and I can also send EE mutts for practice, just let me know
    Ayda

6. Wyogirl

Apr 5, 2010
    Cody, WY

It does work but am not sure where you live?. I think my eggs received in late fall hatched alot better, but the %was not great. I ended up with 1 nice rooster and 3 nice hens, lav orps and am now hatching their eggs. Will do same for the Silkies I hatched .
    Ayda

7. ahahn

ahahn Out Of The Brooder

Feb 10, 2012
    Okay that is bizzar...I want Lavendar Orphingtons!!! I am so excited! How soon could you send them? I am new to ths site, can you send me a private message? Can you post pics of the parents? Where did you get your original eggs?

Last edited: Feb 11, 2012
  8. ahahn

ahahn Out Of The Brooder

Feb 10, 2012
    I guess there is a limit of 2 per day private messages..so I wont get your response. My email is [email protected]. You can send a message there.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by