Shipping eggs soon and I have a thought...

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by duck&chickencrazy, Dec 6, 2011.

1. duck&chickencrazy

duck&chickencrazy Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 2, 2008
    Indiana
    Usually when I ship my eggs I ship them a certain way but as I was looking for other ways to ship them I saw that someone put some sawdust in the bottom of an egg carton and then put the eggs in, and then sprinkled more sawdust on top so they wouldn't move. Then put the carton in bubble wrap in the middle of the box with packing peanuts all around it. Has anyone seen eggs packed like that? Does it work? I usually put bubble wrap around each individual egg...not just around the carton like that...and none of the eggs that I have ever shipped broke on the way to their destination...I guess Im just curious if this works...I can see why it would......I guess it would only work for small eggs tho...

this is the site I saw it on, not sure if its a BYC member or not

http://www.hattricksilkies.com/packingeggs.html

Last edited: Dec 6, 2011
  2. oldorchardfarms

oldorchardfarms Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 26, 2011
    woodstock
    if this was me i ould wrap then in a cloth type material then do sawdust make sure it is tight because it could be a disaster

3. nurse_turtle

nurse_turtle Chillin' With My Peeps

May 28, 2011
    Foothills of NC
    If it ain't broke....
    Don't change the way you've been doing it.

4. duck&chickencrazy

duck&chickencrazy Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 2, 2008
    Indiana
    Quote:Lol i wasn't gonna change it [​IMG] just seeing how other people have been sending their eggs

5. ChirpNEggBaby

ChirpNEggBaby Out Of The Brooder

Nov 19, 2011
    West Central, FL
    I just got 2 groups of eggs....one were quail and the other Dark Cornish.....The quail where in clear quail cartons...with sawdust inside and the box plumb packed with it. I was a little take aback as I ship eggs also. I also got the Chicken eggs...individual bubbled and then in a box of sawdust. Well still waiting to see the outcome of the DCornish-all have check fertile but one, but the quail...whih came all the way from CA to FL gave me an over 50% hatch rate-were talking like 60 eggs. I just got some showgirl eggs not to long ago-bubbled and then loose in pnuts...I think they wobbled a lot...no hatch-all clear. [​IMG] I am a huge fan of the foam cut outs for quail/gamebirds or small eggs. But Im liking the sawdust idea as I think it really protects and keeps the humidity right in transport.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by