Shipping Eggs with Poly-foam

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by NateinFL, Jul 12, 2011.

1. NateinFL

NateinFL Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 7, 2009
    Wesley Chapel FL
    Hi, I recently received a set of eggs from a seller on ebay, came in with air cells all messed up, really bad, most had floating bubbles in them [​IMG]. They were shipped in an egg carton, lightly padded with newspaper around the carton.

The seller is offering to reship with Poly-foam if I pay for the material which I wouldn't mind doing so long as it works...

Please share your experiences on dealing with this material and is there a considerable difference in the condition of the eggs upon arrival?

Thanks!

I did a few searches on here but couldn't find where anyone said, "Hey, I got my eggs and this stuff is Great!." Any feedback would be greatly appreciated.

2. Misssc

Misssc Out Of The Brooder

May 18, 2010
    I received eggs from ebay shipped with this material this year. This is how they arrived.
    [​IMG]

The seller reshipped eggs to me in a smaller box once again in the foam and all the eggs came in good shape and five out of six developed.

3. NateinFL

Sep 7, 2009
    Wesley Chapel FL
    [​IMG] OH now see that is what I was afraid of!

Anyone else have experience using foam?

4. shelleyb1969

shelleyb1969 Star Bright Farm

If a USPS worker decides to engage in a "playful" game of "shake until you break", then NO amount of packing material will protect the eggs. IMO, the main thing the poly-foam does is hold the eggs in an upright position...but the actual protection it provides is no better than bubble bags. Poly-foam, or any other packing material, is not going to protect the eggs against a box that is being smashed or crushed or shaken. But that's just my opinion. [​IMG]

Last edited: Jul 12, 2011
  5. NateinFL

Sep 7, 2009
    Wesley Chapel FL
    I understand that the boxes are mistreated. I am specifically looking for results from eggs shipped with this poly-foam. I don't want to shell out more money for shipping and what not if it's not going to give me any better results. I personally prefer bubble wrap, but the seller won't do that for me.

6. Misssc

Misssc Out Of The Brooder

May 18, 2010
    If they don't want an extreme amount to reship I probably would. My reshipment came in great shape (although it was tricky trying to get them out without breaking them). I hope to have chicks on the 20th.

7. Nimby Chickens

Nimby Chickens Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 20, 2010
    Central FL
    I have had eggs shipped to me in polyfoam, and I gotta say I really liked it.

No mess or peanuts or newspaper everywhere, this seller (fowlrus1 on eBay) double-boxed my eggs, sent 18 and 11 hatched! They came all the way from Texas too. I really liked the polyfoam, there were no cracks or anything.

So in my opinion, definitely one of the best ways to ship eggs - but don't pay too much for it or anything, the stuff should be fairly cheap. My shipping costs of 18 eggs was just under $15.

EDITED to say that that was the first time I ever hatched any eggs, so more probably would have hatched if I hadn't been a rank newb.

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 12, 2011
  8. SundownWaterfowl

SundownWaterfowl Overrun With Chickens

I had silkie eggs shipped in poly-foam last year and none grew. I won't be purchasing any more eggs if the seller ship sin poly-foam. I believe the only way to ship eggs is by bubblewrapping each egg.

9. Gypsy07

Gypsy07 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 4, 2010
    Glasgow, Scotland
    Two completely opposite opinions. LOL!

10. BayouPoules

BayouPoules Chillin' With My Peeps

I love the poly foam,.. but the poly foam I tot my eggs in was deeper that what I see in Misssc's picture. the egg was really protected top and bottom,.. also,. I like not having to deal with getting the egg out of taped bubble wrap,. I once cracked an egg myself trying to fee an overly taped egg. I got my poly-foam from fowlrus here on BYC and liked it so much I had her send some to aveca so she could mail me some of her awesome Aussie eggs,.. I agree that a nasty postal worker can damage any package,. but I felt better with the foam,.. just my humble opinion.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by