Shipping Eggs

I think I got at least 10 of those ones from her and I also got black,grey,white,and partridge oh and buff. What temperature and humidity do you do through out the whole incubation?

My temperature stays at 37.5 Celsius. I also use three separate thermometers to ensure the temperature is right because incubators don't have trustworthy thermometers. I use around 45% humidity for the first week sometimes a little more. Silkies eggs are smaller and they loose water weight faster, so I shoot for a little higher than 45%. I had a disastrous hatch where I had been keeping the humidity too high at 65% so don't go too high. During the second week I up the humidity a little more depending on how the air sacs look. During lockdown I use around 65% to 70% humidity. The real way to know how much humidity is by candling the eggs and measuring their air sacks. Here are a few pictures. When you you candle look for the size of the air sack.

Day 18 egg candle

Update: I just candled and it looks like 7/16 are developing so far. It's lower than I expected but I'm hoping these ones will pull through.

my transported by hand eggs (12 Barnevelders driven from NY to NH 6.5 hours) 6 out of 12 developed, 2 quit early, 2 were dead in shell full term yolks unabsorbed no internal pips, 2 hatched- 1 a limp chick will probably die and 1 alive but uncoordinated, won't eat/drink. Very very sad

Tomorrow my batch 2 is due to hatch 2 sets of shipped by mail eggs will report back

my transported by hand eggs (12 Barnevelders driven from NY to NH 6.5 hours) 6 out of 12 developed, 2 quit early, 2 were dead in shell full term yolks unabsorbed no internal pips, 2 hatched- 1 a limp chick will probably die and 1 alive but uncoordinated, won't eat/drink. Very very sad

Tomorrow my batch 2 is due to hatch 2 sets of shipped by mail eggs will report back

Hope you'll have better luck with that batch!

I bought some CCL eggs from North Carolina and some from Oklahoma. One dozed form each place. They were double packed but some of them had loose air sacks, you could see the air bubble move. Put them in the incubator after they rested for a day, some gave up after a week of development so only one little guy came out from 24 eggs. I was very disappointed about the results. I bought another dozen form someone here in VA most likely was shipped via ground because the air sacks looked intact, day 4 and at least 10 of them have spider veins.

Here is the little guy.

Last edited:
That's great hopefully you have better luck this time I bought 5 dozen all together from different places and I have 38 that are couple weeks along so next week I should have a lot of chicks hatching!

Back
Top Bottom