Shipping Eggs

lingle97

Chirping
7 Years
Oct 22, 2016
Monticello Florida
I am working on getting NPIP certified and looking into shipping hatching eggs. There seems to be so many forms that are supposed to be completed and sent everywhere. Can someone who has done this that can help me weed through it all. I am already state liscensed so i dont have to worry about Florida just all the other states.

I am NPIP and AI Clean Flock certified and ship live birds. I will not sell or ship eggs because of all the problems with dislodged air sacks from rough shipping. Most people don't understand how fragile peaeggs are compared to chicken eggs that are much tougher and survive the shipping better. It is very difficult to console someone who spent a LOT of money on those eggs that don't hatch.

I had one customer that came and picked up eggs, bought an incubator on the way home and then when he failed to hatch any eggs tried to sue me. Some people are fine with a 30% hatch rate and accept the losses, but those people are rare to find.

That is why there are disclaimers galore on hatching eggs. I looked into shipping chicks but for a very small seasonal producer it is not feasable. All the cost involved no one would pay the prices i would have to ask.

I am working on getting NPIP certified and looking into shipping hatching eggs. There seems to be so many forms that are supposed to be completed and sent everywhere. Can someone who has done this that can help me weed through it all. I am already state liscensed so i dont have to worry about Florida just all the other states.

I agree with @KsKingBee shipping eggs is a difficult process, kingbee eluded to the fragile issue, its usually the chalaza aka strings inside the egg that get separated from impacts. The embryo will usually start to develop but after a few days it will surely die, once either chalaza is detached, the embryo/egg is doomed. Its not the packing of the egg within the box, its usually mean people who read the "fragile hatching eggs", as a "kick me please" sign.

Gerald Barker

I agree with both of the above, I raise pheasants as well as peas and for both I don't sell any eggs since I feel it is not fair to the customer to pay 60-80 dollars for eggs and then only get one or two chicks. On top of that those chicks then have to run the gauntlet to adulthood so out of eight eggs you might end up with 1 bird.

I am NPIP and AI Clean Flock certified and ship live birds. I will not sell or ship eggs because of all the problems with dislodged air sacks from rough shipping. Most people don't understand how fragile peaeggs are compared to chicken eggs that are much tougher and survive the shipping better. It is very difficult to console someone who spent a LOT of money on those eggs that don't hatch.

I had one customer that came and picked up eggs, bought an incubator on the way home and then when he failed to hatch any eggs tried to sue me. Some people are fine with a 30% hatch rate and accept the losses, but those people are rare to find.
That is why I won't sell eggs, even if it's someone local.

Back
Top Bottom