shipping of hatching eggs

highmountainchick

In the Brooder
11 Years
Mar 26, 2008
Greetings all!

I would like to start hatching some eggs, never tried this before. How have your hatching eggs been sent to you before? What and how are they wrapped? I have heard that shipping eggs can be lethal to the vitality of eggs, anybody have any ideas on the best way to wrap an egg before it's sent? Thanks for the help

Welcome to BYC!

I've had a lot of eggs shipped to me and there is a risk with doing it, but a lot of times it's the only way to get the breed and quality of birds I want. My hatches from those shipped eggs have varied from 0 out of 18 to 11 out of 16. I have found the closer and less miles they need to travel the better off you're probably going to be. There are as many ways to wrap them for shipping as there are those who ship. Some much better than others!! To me the best way is each wrapped individually in bubble wrap and then nestled in a nest of shredded paper with more bubble wrap around that.

Good luck!

I am new also at everything shipping incubating and such but the only way so far I have gotten eggs to incubate was on Ebay. Monday will be day 21 on the first batch. Out of 12 eggs-4 were demolished from shipping-they didnt individaully wrap eggs and only put shredded paper around the actual egg carton. Im looking at 6 to hatch-fingers crossed. Since the first batch we gotten better shipping care-all eggs were individually bubble wrapped. That seems to be the way to go. I just got a shippment of turkey eggs (18) and not a crack. BUBBLE WRAP works wonders!

I can attest to the fact that Speckledhen uses lots of bubblewrap!!
big_smile.png

I am on my 7th set of hatching eggs. The first thing is the persons reputation. You dont want to buy from someone who is not honest or poor packaging. I mostly buy on here and have great results. Also dont be afriad to put out extra for a reliable bator
smile.png

Hope this info helps you a little bit

Here are the first eggs i ever ordered, (from here i might add), and as you can see, all arrived healthy and well.
No if i could only git dis schtinkink bator to stabilize and git 'em in it.
he.gif

Picture024Small.jpg

Picture025Small.jpg

bubble wrap and pillow fluff, from the craft store..... the best way i have found to do it..

works great and very rare to break one, even if box is dropped,kicked, runover,lol --you know normal usps package handling...

frank
resident serama flunky

Back
Top Bottom