Shipping puppys/dogs

it will depend on time of year.. airlines will not ship if the temp is too high or if its cold they ship below as cargo so it is not tempature regulated. the other shipping cost are the kenneling and the size of the shipping kennel. small of course is less. but it must be large enough that they can stand turn around and lay down comfortably. they must have feed and water that will travel with them. they also must have a vet check just before they ship. the airlines can tell you ,ore specific for their line.. not al airlines ship live animals and they do not do it year round.. Normally it is the breeder that will set everything up and then they will tack on the price of shipping to the cost of the pup.. ask for the copies of receipts showing cost of each item including airfare.

another option is to find someone who is traveling to have them check them as their cargo.. if its a little pup inl little carrier they can have them with them as carry on luggage the kennel must be able to fit under the seat.. again the airline can give you the measurements to but the right kennel..

basically add on a couple hundred more dollars

oh also it is not usual that the shipper charge for travel if the airport is long drive. they will put in $ per mile they are charging.. or may say $50. for a 2 hr one way drive or for the round trip to the airport.

we've had people fly in meet us at the airport witht he pup and them turn around and fly right back.. sometime you can get great rates to do so and its less than shipping as cargo..

good luck )O(
Pink

I considered shipping but was able to work out another arrangement.
Approx cost starts at $250 for the flight and varies according to the size of the dog and kennel. Kennel must be airline approved.

The breeder should handle most of the work and be able to answer all your questions.

I do know that there are pretty strict temperature regulations.

Delta and Continental will ship dogs when it is hot because the cargo holds are climate controlled and they move the dogs to and from the planes to the terminals in air conditioned vans. As far as I know, delta and cont. are the only airlines that offer this special "summer pets" service and it's only offered at their major hub airports. the quote I got from Delta from missouri to South Carolina was $329 (large puppy in a large crate), plus the cost of the crate. Since i was getting two pups, I couldn't afford it. I found a shipper using Uship.com who promised me that he would pick the pups up and deliver them directly, although my pups were not his only passengers. with stops, I should have had my pups in 20 hours, max. It ended up being the most stressful and worrisome 44 hours of my life (well, almost....). they did arrive safely and happy but I would not go that route again. I'd either fly them or go with a dedicated shipper. The quote I got for dedicated shippers ranged from $900 to $1400.

Many airlines that ship pets do have climate controlled cargo holds. The issue with temp regulations is how long the dog can be sitting on the tarmac, that's where heat and cold could be an issue.
I'd want it shipped by a carrier that does it a lot and does it well. From my understanding, continental has a good pet shipping policy.

I chatted up a couple breeder friends. Contintental is who they recommend. Contintental keeps the dogs in an AC holding area, then drives them to the plane in ACed vans and places them directly on the plane at the last minute - no waiting around on the hot tarmac!

It is generally advised that short-nosed breeds such as pugs not travel by air.

Back
Top Bottom